Liver Pain
Okay. I've been in denial. I haven't wanted to admit it to myself even, but there is pain in my ribcage area. It's been daily for about a month. End stage and and SVR. Liver enzymes have been good at 6 and 9 mos post.
I am typing this with leaden fingers. Anyone having recurring pain? What does Dr. say? I need to call mine... argh.
Karen:)
Hi Karen,
I have no idea what is causing the pain, but I do understand your fear and anxiety.
Call your Hepatologist. S/he can get to the bottom of this.
For now, until you know otherwise, assume it is minor and breathe, just breathe and enjoy the Spring.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Riv
Dear Karen I just saw this.
Are you on anything new? New meds?..new foods?
I have had pain in the past right there, once, for some reason the antibiotics I was taking caused an awful pain about an hour after I took them.
I have also had pain there that I later found out was gas as our intestines are not far from there and pain can be referred.
Another time I had pain there that was found to be a muscle I had strained that ran from the back around to the front.
I know it is scary, I have been there, went to the doctor every time and found there was an explanation that had nothing to do with the liver.
I also have a large gallstone so that could have added to it.  I remember going in to the doctor afraid and he could explain it every time.

I hope this is not too much information.  I am glad that you wrote.
Take care
Dee
Hi I wanted to come back to say that I agree with Rivil I usually do; you should get checked out.  I was just trying to help with your fears.
I remember one time I thought my liver was swollen and I got scared, it wasn't. I was feeling something else.
My thoughts and prayers are with you
Dee
Hi Karen

You should see your hepatologist. Your cirrhosis progressing could be causing liver pain. Although it is rare it does happen.
AST and ALT are NOT markers for cirrhosis progression.
Bilirubin, INR and creatinine are. How are these levels?
Have you had imaging recently?

Have you noticed any other signs of cirrhosis?
Spider veins, enlarged veins around belly button, nail changes?

Please See your hepatologist or at least call her  and tell her what is happening.

Best-
H
Hector is right, you should call your hepatologist.

However, it's so easy when we are seriously ill to forget about the other less dangerous things that can cause problems.

I panicked a few times from pain that turned out to be muscle tension.
Once, it was actually my diaphragm. A masseuse taught me how to massage the area myself, and it helped.

Tension can cause pain. Try massaging from below the ribs on the left side down to the waist, across to the right side and back up again in a circular motion. It won't hurt and it may actually help.

Good luck.
I don't know enough about ESLD to comment about your abdominal pain, but I agree with the others, Karen.  Don't delay, call your hepatologist right away. How is your INR?  When was your last ultrasound or CT scan and what were the results?
I know that you have decompensated Cirrhosis, and I know you've had bleeding varices and banding, but I don't know if you have any other symptoms with your decompensated Cirrhosis (ascites, HE, etc.).  
Fear can keep us from going to the doctor, but it can also cause a delay in getting proper treatment.  Get thee to thy hepatologist!  :)
Advocate1955
Thinking of you. I hope you have been able to get an appointment with your Hepatologist.  Saying that, I agree with Advocate, fear can keep one from going in.
I thought about what you said about pain every day for a month.  I would definitely go to the doctor.
My best to you
Dee
Once again, my buddies here come through with sound advice. Thank you all so much. xoxoxo I would have never made it this far without you.
Bilirubin total is 0.9
Creatinine is 0.7
I don't see INR. I tried some changes in my diet. I upped my yoga and have been pain FREE since right after I posted this.

So, I have not called my doctor. I actually love this new protein shake and have felt less nausea. I am still controlling ascites w/ diet. Taking Nadolol for portal hypertension and will get an endo in July. I hope there is no new varices.

I am doing so much better than I thought possible. Having said that, getting through treatment was such a huge thing - now I am having to face the reality of ESLD. I do tire easily. I can let fear come in and get overwhelmed easily. Just trying to learn more about how I can prolong my liver's health and hopefully move toward fibrosis reversal.That may sound like denial, but I'm determined to live.

I just got off work and am going to look at the meaning of those numbers. If any more pain comes, I WILL call my transplant doc. Trying to finish the school year. I had my big bleed out and got pulled from treatment April 30 last year. Whoa. memories. Thanks. Love. Hugs. From the bottom of my heart. I love seeing your responses. TOTALLY reassuring to get advice from those I trust. Karen:)
Really great to hear from you, so glad the pain has subsided.  I know what that fear feels like, waiting for the other shoe to drop is hard
You are always on my mind
Dee
There have been a lot of discussion about liver pain on this web site.  All that ever comes of it is doctors say livers can't feel pain, and most patients with liver pain do actually have liver pain, which is so not-helpful.  One technologist said to me a few years ago that what you're feeling is inflammation of the lining of the ribs or inflammation in some other part of the abdomen.  Believe your pain is real.  I do.
Hi there.
I experienced liver pain in the months leading up to going onto triple TX (with Incivo). As my husband had just left me, I was drinking. So, I could feel the pain was directly related to the alcohol.
I have had broken ribs, etc, and this is liver pain.
Since beginning TX, I have not drunk at all, but after about 2 or 3 weeks on Incivo etc, I again had pain in my liver. mainly when I was in certain positions sitting down. I told the Liver Clinic, and my nurse told me that others on Tx had and were experiencing a return to liver discomfort, but it either stayed the same, or dissipated. It did not affect the outcome of being UND or SVR. well, not that she could say.
It IS liver discomfort/pain, but I sort of expect my liver to grumble with the bombardment it is experiencing.
I guess if it gets worse or unbearable, a more thorough investigation may be required.
.2-1.3 mg/dL is normal for Bilirubin, so .9 is in the normal range.
0.51-1.18 mg/dL is normal for Creatinine, so 0.7 is in the normal range.
Have you found your INR yet?  How about your Albumin?
When is your next appt with your transplant hepatologist?
Take care, Karen.  Glad you're feeling better, but hopefully you are being seen by your hepatologist about every 3 months?
Advocate1955
Thanks all. Well, he now moved me to 6 mos. which is awesome news! Albumin is ranging 3.9 to 4.2. I think that's normal. Still no pain. I am loving this new protein drink. Not so much mental fog with it.
I have almost eliminated sugar from my diet. I still treat myself to a bite of candy, but mostly get sweets from fruit or sweet corn. I think the position, posture, and even gas DO play a part. I became more aware after reading your responses.
Thanks you guys. Just had the 1 year anniversary and it was emotional. Trying to get through the last few weeks of school. SO very different than last year. Joyful for that. I love you guys.
xoxoxo Karen:)
I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. It is good news that all your numbers are in line with normal and that you are experiencing less brain fog too. I'm sending all sorts of good wishes your way!
-Saelon