Liver Problem
I have  a frequent jaundice and also itching problem . I had a major operation at the age of 3 month . Now I checked with doctor . He said u have to do a liver transplantation as soon as possible . I am confused and afraid . please any one tell me what is the problem ??
Hello Yench and welcome to MedHelp.

I am very sorry to hear of your condition but you should know that transplant centers in the US have more than a 90% success rate. At this point you should be receiving treatment from a Hepatologist at a transplant center where the best treatment will be made available to you until a donor liver is available. Here in the US there are a shortage of available livers so sometimes a patient can become quite ill or even expire while they wait. Another option is a living donor, perhaps a family member but serious risks must be considered. People who receive a liver from a living donor have higher survival rates because having a living donor usually means a shorter wait for a liver.

Expect six months to a year of recovery before you'll feel fully healed after your liver transplant surgery. You may be able to resume normal activities or go back to work a few months after surgery. How long it takes you to recover may depend on how ill you were before your liver transplant.

Jaundice and itching are symptoms of decompensated cirrhosis, other symptoms of decompensated liver disease include edema, bleeding varices, ascites and (HE) hepatic encephalopathy stupor. A complete evaluation will be performed at the transplant center and every effort on your part and your doctors should be made to keep your liver as healthy as possible until a donor liver comes available. Any medications you take should be evaluated by your Hepatologist and the use of alcohol is strictly prohibited. The use of over the counter medications should also be approved by your liver specialist.

Liver transplant evaluation is based on the MELD score. The Model for End-Stage Liver Disease, or MELD, is a scoring system for assessing the severity of chronic liver disease. The MELD score is useful in determining prognosis and prioritizing for receipt of a liver transplant. This score is used by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) and Eurotransplant for prioritizing allocation of liver transplants This scoring system is calculated using your blood labs INR, Creatinine and Bilirubin. Also if the patient had dialysis at least twice in the past week.

In interpreting the MELD Score in hospitalized patients, the 3 month mortality is:
• 40 or more — 71.3% mortality
• 30–39 — 52.6% mortality
• 20–29 — 19.6% mortality
• 10–19 — 6.0% mortality
• <9 — 1.9% mortality
In simple the sickest receive the donor liver first.

“please anyone tell me what is the problem ??”
You haven’t provided much information that I can use to elaborate what has your liver in this condition. You mentioned a major surgery at 3 years of age, what was it for? I’ll be glad to try and give you a better explanation. Do you know why you are being treated for liver disease? I wish you the best.

Randy
Thanks,

I got transplanted and living a normal life now .
Congrats to you