Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Liver disease

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Liver disease

Since november I have been experiencing right side upper abdominal pain, occasional pale stool and occasional right shoulder pain.  I thought it was gallstones based on online research and dismissed it until last week.  I did an ultrasound and the technician discovered that I have mild coarse echopattern on my liver.  This is all the information I have thus far and am awaiting blood test results.  My question is that based on my ultrasound is this cirrhosis or could it be another liver disease.  I'm a 31 year old female, I'm not a heavy drinker but have been in the last decade.  

I'm a bit scared and would love so more information.

Thank you so much.
Welcome to the forum.
It is not really possible for anyone to diagnose you at this stage. I am glad that you had blood tests, that should tell you something depending on the tests.
The best way to find out the condition of your liver is to have a liver biopsy. It is now a relatively minor procedure and that will give you the best information.

I would see a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist as they are the specialists for liver disease and will know the proper procedures and tests.
In the meantime I suggest you do not consume any alcohol or red meat and eat light and healthy foods.
Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
Thank you for the warm welcome.  I hope that you are well.  This is a very scary situation for me.  Too many years of thinking i was invincible.  It's really nice to see all the support there is on this site.  I'll share my blood results once I get them.  

I definitely wont be drinking, have to work on the red meat though.

Thank you for your response!
On the HCV forum "dont_worry" posted a thread about gallstones and how since the gbladder sits below your liver if you have pain from a gallstone it may seem like it is your liver. It is worthwhile to have that checked out too.

Red meat is only bad if you have cirrhosis, you may not have cirrhosis so I wouldn't worry too much, just try to minimize it till you know for sure.

I wish you all the best.
Thanks for the info!  I had went in for the ultrasound to get my gallbladder checked and that's when they discovered the mild coarse echo pattern on my liver.  I have one year old twins and was checked for hepatitis during the pregnancy so I know its not that.  Anxious for the results!
"My question is that based on my ultrasound is this cirrhosis or could it be another liver disease. "

Only a qualified gastroenterologist or hepatologist can diagnose the cause of your symptoms.
"the technician discovered that I have mild coarse echopattern on my liver." A sonogram tech has no training in any disease and in fact should never tell the patient what they find as they can create unneeded anxiety in patients as they are not qualified to evaluate what they see.

Trying to diagnose medical problem based on what you read on the internet is no way to take care of one's health. There is a lot of misleading and false information on the Internet. Only by having a doctor who knows your medical history, does a physical examine and orders appropriate tests can an accurate diagnosis be arrived at.

See a doctor who specializes in diseases of the digestive system soon. You are wasting valuable months getting no where. Any competent doctor could have diagnosed your symptoms months ago and you could now be getting on with your life instead of worrying.

Good luck.
Hector