Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Mom with Stage 4 Cirrhosis, Hep C positive, and Diabetic

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Hello everyone, my Mom found out 5 years ago that she has hep c, and cirrhosis. She has been diabetic foe over 15 years. She has not always been the healthiest person and I am concerned and kind of confused as to what her prognosis is. Her belly already swells up pretty bad and she goes to the hospital every 2-3 day to have 5-7 liters of fluid pulled out of her abdomen. Her ammonia levels go up and she gets confused. She does take numerous medications but don't know what specific ones. Can anyone help me to understand the potential outcomes, cures and treatments for my mom?
Hello Yvette and Welcome to MedHelp.
Has your mom ever received treatment for her hepatitis? Hepatitis if left un-treated will cause cirrhosis to advance. The fluid retention is called ascites, a low sodium diet should be put into place also medication is available but since she is going to the hospital so often I'm sure she has been told this.
High ammonia levels and confusion are signs of hepatic encephalopathy. Very common amongst cirrhotic people. Low protein diet and medications such as Xifaxan and lactulose can assist with this.
Both of these problems are symptoms of advanced decompensated cirrhosis. At this point she needs to be seeing a hepatologist and gastroenterologist at a transplant facility where she should be being evaluated for transplant. Her condition is very serious so it should not be taken lightly.
I am very sorry to have to share this information with you and please keep in mind I am not a qualified medical doctor merely some guy with cirrhosis  that has spent a lot of time reading about my own condition. This information has likely been discussed with your mom at some point. I wish the best for you both. Take care. Please feel welcome to post any other questions.
Randy
Just to add to what Randy said...

"She does take numerous medications but don't know what specific ones. Can anyone help me to understand the potential outcomes, cures and treatments for my mom?"

The only outcome is that in time her liver will fail. She needs to be seen a a liver transplant center ASAP. She will be evaluated and hopefully if she qualifies will be put on a transplant list. She will need a transplant in the near future in order to continue living.

The only "cure" at this point is a liver transplant.

As far as treatments there are treatments to keep her as healthy as she can be but it appears the her liver is failing and so she is experiencing the complication of End-Stage Liver Disease. Her ascites and hepatic encephalopathy can be life threatening. She needs to be under the care of a hepatologist at a transplant center now. Her liver may be so damaged that her medicines aren't effective any more. The only solution is care at a transplant center.

Local hospitals can not care for someone in her condition. She needs expert care as soon as possible.

Good luck.
Hector