No insurance..where can I go to get help?
My Dad has Hep C and cirrhosis of the liver. He is 58 years old and works graveyard at a gas station. He has no money or insurance and I am trying to figure out how I can get him on an Interferon waiting list. I have already lost my mother and 2 of my aunts to this disease and I am not gonna just stand by while no body does anything to help...So, please help me with some resources.. I live in Washington State. Thank you LaDawn
I wish I knew more about how to help you. I think a good place to start would be with the finacial department of the hospital where he got his diagnosis, certainly they could better advise you. Aslo has he tried to apply for state aid? He may not be eligable for other benefits but with his current medical condition he is greatly in need of treatment and insurrance.

I hope this will help. Take care.

Randy
Hi LaDanger,
I read your post in the Hepatitis C forum and then saw your post here.  As OH mentioned on your other post, your dad's swelling is due to ascites, which means that his Cirrhosis has progressed to the stage where his liver is functioning well (decompensation).  Does he have any esophageal or internal bleeding?  Does he have any confusion/disorientation/loss of memory?
I live in Washington State too.  My husband is 59 years old and has Hep C.  He has treated 3 times, but the treatments didn't work.  He has Cirrhosis too, but right now his liver is still compensated (working well).  He does not have any signs of decompensation (not working well).
The most important thing for your dad to do right now is to get him an appointment with a hepatologist at a hospital that has transplant services.  This type of hepatologist will best be able to treat and monitor your dad's Cirrhosis and decompensated liver.  There may be one closer to you, but I doubt it, so I strongly recommend the Hepatology Department at the University of Washington Medical Center (Seattle) in the Medical Services/Transplant Services department.  This is where my husband is treated for his Hep C and Cirrhosis.  This type of hepatologist will be able to determine whether or not your dad can treat his Hep C, which is continuing to damage his liver.  Also, I noticed in your other post that your dad is on a low dose of Methadone.  I know that Methodone is a narcotic and is addictive.  I don't know whether or not Methadone is filtered through the liver, but if it is, it is creating an extra burden on your dad's liver.  That should also be monitored by a hepatologist.
I don't know a lot about the financial part, because my husband has health insurance through his job, and he's well enough to work full time to keep his insurance.  I would strongly recommend calling UWMC in Seattle and ask about financial aid.  Then I would suggest following Hector's recommendation in your other post on the Hep C forum and having your dad apply for Medicaid.  That will take time, so getting that application in now will move it along faster.
I can share more information about UWMC if you like.
Advocate1955
I reckon your best bet is to migrate too Canada
lobby your representative for ubiversal health care
Thank you all so much...you have no idea how much this has helped me. The only thing is, is that my dad will not do anything on his part besides go where I point him and sign where I say sign. It is a lengthy process and I fear rejection from financial help and even more for a transplant because of his past and his current habits. Regardless, this site has helped a lot and I appreciate everyone who actually took the time to read and respond....I think that is called cating for others. Seems rare now a days..very refreshing to know that chivalry is not gone.
I seriously need help in finding some place where he can go....I have been on the computer for a week straight now with no leads. Any additional information on UWMC would be great. Thank you, so much
Hi LaDanger,

Here is the contact information for UWMC:

Liver Care & Transplantation Services at UWMC
University of Washington Medical Center
Box 356166
1959 N.E. Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195
206.598.4973

Here is the link to their webpage:
http://www.uwmedicine.org/patient-care/our-services/medical-services/liver-care-and-transplantation-services/Pages/default.aspx

Advocate1955
Hi LaDawn,
     I have had the same financial problems as your father trying to get help with medical treatment.I went to the Financial Social Worker at the University of Florida and filled out paperwork and I qualified for a Charity Program 100% of Hospital and Doctor visits paid for,I am sure there is one at your TP Center also. The Clinical Trials are free for tx.It took me awhile but they finally seeings all the issues I had they put me on Medicaid(Medipass).There is help out there.I had to go through alot just to get to a Hepatologist.I started at the ER because where I went didn't like taking people out of their County,the ER doctor did test and recommend I see the Hepa doctor,but I had to get the Charity Program first to see my doctor.Keep plugging at them for financial aid.

Wish you the Best!
  ~Country
Try the american liver association they will help you or at least put you on a path of some kind of tx or what ever it is ur looking for.This is thru experience not something I have heard from another post or anyything  Good Luck
Hi Ladawn,
You should check out your WA state's high risk pool health insurance plan. Here's their website: https://www.wship.org/ and here's their number: 1-800-877-5187.
It's basically insurance for people with pre-existing conditions or who've been denied insurance. Your dad may also qualify for federal high risk health insurance plan. Explore the website to see what option is the best for him.