Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

My doctor noted this on a separate report and ordered a liver panel but shouldn't she have ordered a AMA test also to confirm this? anyone have any experience with this?
I think your exactly right although I have no experience with PBC but it would seem it is a process to diagnose you accurately and quite technical.

However I see that  up to 12% of PBC patients do not have AMA but testing may still be required. Liver panel test are done first to look at GGT and ALP levels this will indicate autoimmune disorder.

I hope this helps, take care.

Randy

Here is a page that explains the processs.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/testguide.action?dc=TS_PBC
thanks  Randy! great site...very detailed, specific but understandable.....I have an appt tomorrow with test results to either hopefully clear me of Hep C (or not) and hopefully more info about this cirrhossis business....

Beverly
Your welcome Beverly. I hope the best for you tomorrow and let us know if there is anymore we can do to help.

Randy
Yes she should have order an AMA test and other blood tests that will confirm the diagnosis. Biopsy and ultrasound too if you haven't had them already.

I am not sure who you are seeing but only a hepatologist will be able to treat PBC. PBC is an autoimmune disease of the bile ducts which is different in many ways from typical liver disease.

There are treatments that help you manage the symptoms while your disease progresses through cirrhosis, but unfortunately the only cure for PBC is a liver transplant. So if you have PBC you will need to learn to live with it for many years until you can get a transplant. Only a transplant center can provide you with proper care. Most of us who wait for transplants do this anyway and waiting lists can take years before we get a chance to get a new donor liver unless we have a living donor.

Good luck.
I hope hep C is not an issue for you can focus on PBC and its symptoms.

Cheers!
hector
My doctor iss gonna drive me crazy! I saw her today and she confirmed Hep C and I have already been referred to the Hep C clinic who will then call me to set up the test for the viral load....and when I asked about the PBC, she was dismissive and said....well, its just cirrhosis, plain cirrhosis....a hepatologist will have to determine that....so I asked "then why would you put that down?"  and she ignored me...whatever....my blood test looks great, liver and kidneys funcitoning great, etc....not a hint of any malfunction...so I'll wait to see what the Hepatologist says about my early cirrhosis
Yes, it is time to see a hepatologist who can help you.
Is this doctor a gastro? It is far beyond her expertise. Especially PBC. Only hepatologists have experience with managing patients with biliary disease.

On the plus side at least you got this far and are going in the right direction. That is huge as you will later learn.

I am so glad you come here and others having directed you to the care you need. It is what makes this forum a positive tool for people.

The hepatologist will find out what is really going on and then we can deal with the real facts instead of maybe this, maybe that speculation. There is no time for speculation when it comes to cirrhosis and PBC, two very serious diseases.

I case I am not around due to my transplant I wish you the best of luck and others here will help you navigate through your diagnosis and treatment options.

Happy New Year!
hector