Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
What do you EAT with Cirrhosis?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

What do you EAT with Cirrhosis?

I am asking for Everyone's help please. If you could just tell me your Daily Meals that would help.I already know the basics no salt,no red meats,etc..I would just like to hear what you eat for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner for a day.Trying to get some new ideas.I'm getting tired of the same ole stuff.I eat Chicken,Fish(not much),Salads,Sweet potatoes,Rice and Beans,Brocolli, Brussell Sprouts,Corn (all is fresh or frozen)Eggs,Cereal and that's about it. It's Thanksgiving and I have 3 places to attend.Thanks Everyone so much.Happy Thanksgiving to you All !

~Country
I too find that eating the same old things can be boring. I try and spruce it up by trying different herb combos. Like chicken curry. I just discovered sweet paprika and made a hungarian goulash that is lo-fat loso too! Have you had ascites?
Happy Turkey Day!
Karen :)
I haven't got to see my Hepa Doc very much( early this year) because of being on Blinded tx.I have not been Diagnosed with ascites but before I got into tx,my stomach was swollen at top and it seems if I don't stay on the foods I am suppose to be on it will swell up.I cheat on eating when I'm out and aboutI try to find something that is somewhat good for my liver.Have to take alot of Zantac if I do so.This is why I would like to know so I don't want to destroy my liver anymore than it already is.
Happy T Day to you also.
Country
Well I guess no one eats anymore..LOL
You crack me up. Right now? Iced coffee with protein powder. Did you know coffee has been shown to improve liver function? Karen :)
Check your message box
I think you posted at a bad time of year to expect many replies.

When I had decompensated cirrhosis, I bought a juicer and made lots of juice, from things like beets that I read were good for my liver.

I read all labels and by eating any salt ( sodium) was able to keep my ascites at bay for three years.

I  made a yummy beet salad, with beets sprinkled with a little olive oil and lots of grated fresh ginger.
Yogurt is could for helping to provide probiotics. You can put it in oatmeal or in your smoothies.
Although I don't care for tofu I ate lots of it. It's good for your protein intake and albumin levels.
Stir fried veggies with little bits of chicken or stir fried rice with eggs is good.
Just watch the soy sauce, too much salt.
Home made chicken noodle soup is wonderful.

Avoid high iron content foods too.

Coffee, yes ! The more you can drink the better. Just google coffee and hep C.
Hi Countrygirl,
When I was actually eating meals I ate food that is considered anti inflammatory. The Paleo diet is one type of inflammatory diet.

"Incorporate fresh, organic fruits and vegetables in your meals
Reduce your intake of polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as sunflower, corn and safflower oils), replacing them instead with extra-virgin olive oil
Use healing spices in your cooking: turmeric, ginger and red pepper can add zing to meals, and all are natural anti-inflammatories"

I don't like meat but I know that poultry and fish are considered okay-just remember that it really should be organic and keep it to a minimum.
Eggs are good, tofu, beans, rice.
Stay away from processed foods and sugar as much as possible.
If you want a meal planner/recipes I would look up the Paleo diet. It will give you the structure for meals and the important ingredients.
Good luck. Just think of it as a better way of eating and it won't feel like deprivation.
Oops. I goofed.

"I read all labels and by eating any salt ( sodium) was able to keep my ascites at bay for three years. "

This should read:

I read all labels and by NOT eating any salt ( sodium) was able to keep my ascites at bay for three years.
Thanks All ! I see everyone is pretty much eating the same ole thing as me.
Was just asking what you prepared for yourself  in a day...I will look into the Paleo Diets Books,thanks for that info.I did not know Coffee was good for liver.I don't do any Caffiene,coffee wires me out,only have 1/2 c a day.No Soda or Tea,just water.
Anyway dont want to waste anyone else's time,so thanks.

~Country~
You don't waste anyone's time!! It is good for us to go over it. I actually was inspired to look up some new recipes, so I appreciate the question.
By the way, decaf is just as effective as regular coffee, I hear.
Good luck to you and if you come up with anything really good, let me know. :)
Going to see my Hepatologist today and Wednesday for Endoscopy to see if I need Banding.I guess I will be on Liquids..LMBO!
I seen my doctor (Hepa) yesterday.He told me that I can eat anything I want too.He said to just stay away from SODIUM and ALCOHOL and thats it.I can also eat red meats too,I ask.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/cirrhosis/DS00373/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print

Hi Countrygirl,
People must do what they are comfortable with and if you are okay with what your Hepa told you, I am sure you will be fine.
I posted a link from the Mayo clinic that recommends a diet for cirrhosis.
True the main concerns are alcohol and sodium, but they along with others recommend lean meats like poultry and a plant based diet for the most part.
I am only bringing it up since it is a public post and others reading this should be aware that there are legitimate guidelines for the leaner diet recommended.
However, I am not trying to tell you what to eat. It is entirlely your decision and with your Hepa's recommendation, I am sure you will eat fine. :)
Unfortunately not many doctors are trained in nutrition.

If you have decompensated cirrhosis, you definitely should not eat red meat as it can increase the effects of hepatic encephalopathy.
Maybe your cirrhosis is still compensated which is why he said it's okay to eat red meat.Although it doesn't make sense  I didn't think people need banding until they have decompensated cirrhosis.

Read this link:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/liver_and_gallbladder_disorders/manifestations_of_liver_disease/hepatic_encephalopathy.html?qt=&sc=&alt=
Lots of organic fruits and vegetables.They don't need to be organic if they have thick skins such as Mangoes,bananas cantelope.On the web site "Live Strong" there is a top 10 dirty list,things to never eat unless they are organic.Grapes,leaf lettuce,celery, strawberries,cherries,peaches are a few that I can remember.If you can't afford the extra expence of organics at least don't eat the worst ones.
I make deviled eggs for protien when I don't feel like eating.Dairy products are good,use butter not margarine("who do you trust more,the scientist or the cow?").Yogurt as some else said is good !Cheese has alot of sodium except "Queso Fresco".Sometimes I eat corn tortillas with Queso Frsco for a snack.Pinto beans with torn up corn tortillas and sour cream and a little bit of hot sauce chopped tomatoes.I have no problems with the fruit and veggies ,my honey grows a full organic garden and we live where there is alot of organic orchards.Around April I will have my own dairy products,the goats will kid then.I wish I could share some of our blessed produce and dairy and eggs.with each one of you to help in your jouney of healing.
I would question the okay for red meat.It is bad for healthy people to eat it is so much work to digest not to mention the recourses cattle production requires. An occasional T-bone and Prime rib is the onlly beef I would eat if I could.I probabley did't help much other than to let you know that I care.
Happy to see you posting, Snow!
How lovely that you have a full organic garden and goats and chickens.
To me that is a dream life.
All the best, friend
In the Spring with so much work it isn't so dreamy at times.This year all I will be doing is milking,making cheese etc.the real physical stuff Griz will do.Yes we are blessed but this is kind of the norm in this communnity most folks have chickens and gardens and keep a few goats for weed control and foal and calf raising.Goat milk is the universal milk replacer.The colostrum is gold to horse breeders.I once gave goatl milk to a skinny litter of pups(the mother was too young)into little roly-poly cuties.All the dogs would follow to milk in the mornings,if a hair or a fly gets in the milk I won't use it for anything so the dogs get it.
You say "making cheese" like it's the normal for you. That would be a venture I would love to try! Is it very complicated?

Randy
I've been eating Pepperidge Farms goldfish and hard goat cheese, found my son's hard whole grain rolls set easy on my stomach and took a bite of turkey. Most days just cheese and crackers. Ate a bite of chicken last night due to nagging children and proceeded to throw it up. Doc told me to try prilosec, but that just came back up also. Maybe the hepatologist will have some better recommendations next week. Food is low on my list, don't care about it any longer although I DO try.
I thank you for your thoughts on what to eat.I tried eating a T-Bone the other night and I think I'm gonna stick to my Diet of Poultry and Fish,with Fresh fruits and veggies.I only had a couple of bites of the beef and realize I really don't want it anymore.
@ OH..I have Early stage Cirrhosis and I had the upper GI done on Wed and I did not have to have the Bands (THANK GOD).My results were grade 1 varices.Mild portal hypertensive gastropathy of stomach.So I am doing good.

Best to you All !
Country
Happy to hear the good news Country girl. :)
I am so sorry I never noticed your question.Yes making Goat cheese is normal for me .The type I do is very easy,it requires no cultures or aging.It is a "fresh type cheese" and you can flavor it with about anything including fruit.Think a cross between feta and cream sheese is the best description.I press it a little sometimes so that it can be sliced.Sorry again and Merry Christmas may you be blessed with returning health.Snow
OK. I"m a huge huge cheese fan! it's got a lot of sodium and I can only go 2000mg a day. Can I eat YOUR cheese? I have a friend in France who makes goat cheese and I love it but shipping is costly.
BTW Countrygirl, congrats on good news for the endo. Keep it up! And i'm having a T Bone on New Years Eve. I eat beef a few times a week. Grade 4 cirrhosis and having 5th banding in January. Really happy for you. Take care to keep your blood pressure down, kk?
xoxo Karen:)
I can make the cheese with any amount of salt I want.I too am allowed 2000mg of sodium per day.
I would love to try a small piece of your homemade cheese.I have HE and have to take Lactulose already to have BM.So NO CHEESE for me:) LOL

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´COUNTRY❤
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
Bummer about you not getting to eat cheese. I'm off the lactulose now. I eat little amounts of cheese. Do you think you'll be able to wean off of lactulose?
@creewoman. Does cheese make it's own sodium? I want some of yours!
Thinking..I'd love more info on your cheese! I'm recovering from a banding and a lil zoney today, but would you send me some info? Your website? I think you're on to something for those with cirrhosis!
I have a nutritional guide n recipes on my website:
http://www.ihelpc.com
If you send me some info, I'll post it! Thanks! Karen:)
Most cheese has salt in it as a preservative. Do not consume any sodium if you have ESLD.
This is not about what you like to eat, this is about saving you from very difficult side effects of cirrhosis.
Of course, if you can find cheese with no salt~ go for it.
thanks for your post. Have you seen the documentary Hungry for change ?  My husband has NASH and we are so looking forward to make changes in our daily diet, both of us. We are buying a juicer and we'll keep you posted with our progress.  
Your diet sounds really good. The most important rule is to keep salt levels as low as possible. This is tough when eating out. At home, only salt things at the end.
But you asked for examples. Pardon if I maunder on. Maybe you'll get some ideas:
Breakfast - toast, sprouted wheat, multi-grain, low salt. Try the hippie bread in the freezer of most supermarkets. Spread with hummus or halve a cherry tomato and clove of garlic. Rub into bread and drizzle with good olive oil. A smidgen of sea salt. This is how they do it in Spain. Delicious... really!
Yoghurt. Lots of fresh fruit. Wheat germ, nuts. Kind Nutrition bars. Poached or scrambled eggs.
Lunch - Whole wheat wraps with everything you like. Shredded carrots, cabbage,  a little cheese. Tahini, salsa. Chick peas and white beans and vinaigrette with minced onion.
Dinner - chicken ordered fish poached in oven with broth, lemon, sherry vinegar and grapes. Whole grain pasta or brown rice. Or any flavor variation of this. Easy. I use microwave frozen rice to avoid cleaning rice pot.
Avocado tarragon salad. Baked pears, sherbet for dessert.
Good condiments only need to be bought once.  I buy a lot for cheap online.
Anyone else have a menu to share?
That should be chicken OR fish!