Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
cirrosis and glucosamine

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

cirrosis and glucosamine

It seems like the hep c tx. affected my joints and was trying to find out if taking glucosamine chondroitin pills will adversly affect my Cirrosis (cirrhosis). thnx Bootcamp
That is unfortunate. If you don't think you are getting adequate care I would suggest switching hepatologists. If your liver disease gets worse you will need to rely more and more on your hepatologist. If you don't feel they are giving you the answers you need . Then should your cirrhosis continue to progress it will be more of a nightmare than it already is. I have had to have my hepatologist explain to me options that were a matter of life and death more than once. If I didn't have a great relationship with her how could I have trusted her assessment and advice? There were times where if I didn't understand the real risks I might have made the wrong choice. I would probably would not have made it this far without the level of trust we have developed over the past 5 years.

Hopefully you will cure the cause of your liver disease and stop the progression of your liver disease. If not, as you know, most people wait many years for a liver transplant as their disease progresses and then get sicker and sicker.

Although we hate to think about it, cirrhosis can be a fatal disease. I really face that when I was diagnosed with liver cancer 21 months ago. When cirrhotic the only cure is a liver transplant before the cancer become unmanageable. Without a relationship where you must trust that doctor with your life I don't think I could have made it this far.

I speak from experience of this. When I first went to the transplant center I had a different doctor. The vibe was off from day one. I didn't think he was even listening to my concerns. So I changed doctors. Not knowing the my current hepatologist was one of the internationally known doctors in the fields of hepatitis and liver transplantation but she is one of the most caring and compassionate people you will ever meet. She has given my her personal email address and any time I have a concern I can contact her directly and she will get back to me that day. So when I hear ours say there doctor is too busy or don't answer there questions I have to wonder why they don't have time when my doctor how has hundreds of patients, leads all the hepatitis trials at our transplant center, is on the AASLD board, is an editor for Hepatology magazine, etc.finds the time.

Best of luck to you. So sorry you are treated so poorly.

Hector
Thanks for asking..I have the same problem.
I will check with my Hepa if we don't hear from someone soon, I should have an answer by the end of the week.
As always, if you have cirrhosis you should consult with your hepatologist regarding any changes in diet, vitamins, supplements and medicines. Only your doctor who is managing your cirrhosis knows what complications from cirrhosis you have and if any change caused by a supplement could negatively effect your health.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take -- both prescription and non-prescription.

What your family or friends take may be OK for them, but it doesn't mean it will be safe for you because you have extensive liver disease.

Some common over-the-counter pain relievers can be hard on the liver if used in high doses or taken too often.

NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), like Advil (ibuprofen) can also be dangerous to take because they can cause internal bleeding and kidney failure.

Aspirin can destroy platelets faster than the body can make them.

All benzodiazepines can harm the liver.

Tell your doctor about all of the supplements you take.

Many of these can have side effects and interact with each other, and with many medicines. This could end up hurting your liver.

Avoid high doses of vitamins A, D, E and K. As well, taking iron supplements may be hard on your liver.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!
Hector
thnx, I am trying not to take anything that could stress my liver.
Hector, I have gotten clearer more accurate advice from the forum than I have from my Hepatologist. thnx

Hector
Thnx Hector, If most Dr. would put the time and effort into answering questions as you do, alot of us would feel better. Of course being in the same boat as someone brings empathy into the picture.
thnx for your wonderful support. Bootcamp
Best of luck to you.
It is unfortunate the good care is so hard to find.

Hector