Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
hepatitis B

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

hepatitis B

Sir / Madam.
I am 52 yrs old  staying in India, working, was detected Hepatitis B positive in 1998, i.e 15 yrs back  while  Blood donating. MY  father was serious and expired  IN 1998 due to  liver cirrhosis i am very much scare. I am  regular follow up  SINCE 1998 with LIVER FUNCTION TEST  LFT test and SGOT AND SGPT test twice in a year. they are FOUND normal  . The HBV DNA test carried in Dec 2012 result also shows <20 IU. and HBe Ag  is negative (- ve) since 1998 .
Now a days i am feeling exhausted by the evening as my current job is to  daily travel about 200 k.m. by train.  Acidity and non digestions is frequently occurred.Kindly suggest preventive measures to avoid Liver Cirrhosis and routine test to be done at what interval please.
Hello Gavali and welcome to MedHelp.

It sound like things are pretty well. A comprehensive metabolic panel and complete blood count are all the lab testing required to monitor changes in liver function. Have these panels ran twice annually. A healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight will also prevent liver disease.

It sounds like you are having some digestive disorders such as GERD. GERD is caused by frequent acid reflux β€” the backup of stomach acid or bile into the esophagus.

When you swallow, the lower esophageal sphincter β€” a circular band of muscle around the bottom part of your esophagus β€” relaxes to allow food and liquid to flow down into your stomach. Then it closes again.

However, if this valve relaxes abnormally or weakens, stomach acid can flow back up into your esophagus, causing frequent heartburn and disrupting your daily life. This constant backwash of acid can irritate the lining of your esophagus, causing it to become inflamed (esophagitis). Over time, the inflammation can erode the esophagus, causing complications such as bleeding or breathing problems

TREATMENT:
Antacids that neutralize stomach acid. Antacids, such as Maalox, Mylanta, Gelusil, Rolaids and Tums, may provide quick relief. But antacids alone won't heal an inflamed esophagus damaged by stomach acid. Overuse of some antacids can cause side effects, such as diarrhea or constipation.
Medications to reduce acid production. Called H-2-receptor blockers, these medications include cimetidine (Tagamet HB), famotidine (Pepcid AC), nizatidine (Axid AR) or ranitidine (Zantac 25, Zantac 75, Zantac 150). H-2-receptor blockers don't act as quickly as antacids, but they provide longer relief. Stronger versions of these medications are available in prescription form.
Medications that block acid production and heal the esophagus. Proton pump inhibitors block acid production and allow time for damaged esophageal tissue to heal. Over-the-counter proton pump inhibitors include lansoprazole (Prevacid 24 HR) and omeprazole (Prilosec OTC).

Contact your doctor if you need to take these medications two or more times a week or your symptoms are not relieved. I hope this information helps you out, take care,

Randy
Welcome Gavali

I'm sorry you're going through this.  Randy answered your questions pretty thoroughly, I have nothing to add other than to say try to relax.  Just take one day at a time and live as healthy as you can.  Good diet, exercise and a positive attitude go a long way.  I will keep you in my prayers.

Shelley
Thanks lot for  detail information. But still i am wondered that i am feeling exhausted daily in the evening . The cramps at lower portion of my leg and bottoms observed while  i go to bed and so  my sleep disturbed. Any Vitamins suppliment is required if any  and specific lab test required pl. suggest.
I know when I get leg cramps it's because I am low on potassium.  You might be feeling tired because  you're not getting good sleep.  Just rest if you need to rest.  Good luck with everything.

Shelley