Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
muscle wasting

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

muscle wasting

I have since 4 weeks pain in my right leg und some muscle twitching.
the pain is the worst while iam sitting.when I lay down or walking
its better
is it possible that these are symptoms of muscle wasting from cirrhosis?
does muscle wasting occour more in advanced decompensated
cirrhosis or already in early cirrhosis?
I have to add that it started after I went to exercise in a training gym.
My doc is still not sure if its from the back,or the nerves.he will refer my
to a specialist this Friday.

regards Marc
I don't know what is causing the pain in your right leg, but it sounds like it may be related to the recent workouts at the gym.
I too have been concerned about muscle wasting due to cirrhosis and a long period of inactivity. I have recently started swimming and that seems to help a lot with strengthening and gently stretching all these parts that were underused.
It will take some time for healing and rebuilding tissue but I believe in time it will happen. Hang in there Marc. :)
Decompensated cirrhosis means that the liver is extensively scarred and unable to function properly. It changes the architecture of the liver and also the blood flow through and around the liver (portal hypertension).

Patients with decompensated cirrhosis develop a variety of symptoms such as ascites, hepatic encephalopathy, bleeding varices, extreme fatigue, nausea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, jaundice, weight loss and loss of muscle mass, impotence in men, bruising and bleeding, and many other complications including some that are potentially life threatening.

Muscle wasting can result from the inability of the liver to metabolize proteins, which can make a person with cirrhosis more prone to bone fractures.

A person with extensive muscle wasting will look anorectic, starved like concentration camp prisoners. You will be able to clearly see the bones of their skeleton, as their muscle and fat have disappeared and the skin lies on the bones.For layman this is a shocking experience. Also often the skin color will be yellow or for people of color there skin may become very dark.

Body weight may drop 30-40 lbs or more.

Patients with cirrhosis who have low muscle mass are actually more sick than what the MELD score indicates, and many of them die while waiting on the liver transplant lists. Those with low muscle mass lived for about 19 months if they couldn't get a transplant, while those with normal muscle mass lived for about 34 months without a liver transplant.

Patients with cirrhosis should be on a special diet to help manage some of the complications of the disease. Protein intake is critical in the management of early muscle wasting.

Hector
I'd like to ask if muscle wasting is causing pain in the muscle?
If you're on a diuretic, this can cause muscle spasms.  Drink plenty of water, preferably the brand "smart water" or a drink with electrolyes.