Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
question for Hector

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

question for Hector

Dear Hector,
I have been researching about cirrhosis for hours a day since my husband was diagnosed with it exactly one year ago. The symptoms started way before that with extreme tiredness, depression.... After that , in last October he was throwing up blood and had bloody stools for   a month or two. He went to the hospital and got some plasma and the bleeding got fixed. reading your post made me realize that you have a lot of insights and good advice for people with this condition. Up to this date my husband is declining fast. He had a couple of episodes when he did not know where he was or who his family members were. His legs are swollen all the time in spite of water pills, he sleeps all the time, his stomach is huge and full of water, he has muscle aches, tiredness, he is always irritated and angry, he started to have a yellow colored skin. I have been trying to convince him to stop drinking and of course the doctors warned him also, but he is still consumes alcohol. He is in denial and does not think he is close to death at all. Do you have any idea how his progression will be in the next few months if he keeps this up? The doctors don't act  too anxious, he has a check up in every three months and they never say anything alarming front of me. The last two times my husband did not want me to go so I have no idea what they told him. I'm really worried and don't know what to do or what to expect. Any input will be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

(I am posting this for Val who posted this question at the end of a thread, I hope this is ok, Dee)
Hello.

I am very sorry to hear that the patient continues to drink. Unfortunately this is not an uncommon experience. I have known of many alcoholics with advanced liver disease who were unable to conceive of life without alcohol. Luckily some do get the wake up call before it is too late and are still alive today having received liver transplants.

I am afraid to say that the complications from liver failure will only get worse. You have describe many of the classic complications of End-Stage Liver Disease. These complications and others are potentially fatal and the chances of his living much longer are poor as each time their occur the chances of death increase.

The doctors, like all of us, can only help people that want to help themselves. If someone wants to kill themselves, unfortunately there is little that anyone can do.

Only if he makes the decision to live is there are chance that he will survive his liver failure by getting a transplant. Many alcoholics do stop drinking and attend AA meetings to prove to the transplant center they are serious about their sobriety. If a person does this, usually after 6 months the patient could be put on a transplant wait list if the center decides that the patient is sincere and will abstain from drinking in the future.

My suggestion would be to confront his addiction problem and make it clear to him that if he continues his behavior he is choosing to die and will be hurting all those around him that care for him, even if he doesn't care if he dies maybe he does care for someone besides himself. I am no expert on addiction and what can make a person change. I only know it can happen because of have seen it happen to some of my friends. Perhaps other former alcoholics could provide advice for you?

I hope he sees the light before it is too late. It is very sad to see someone choose to die when so many people in this world fight everyday just to live another day.

I wish you all the best.
Hector
I am so sorry for you and your husband, it sounds to me as if he is depressed or he may be in denial of the harm he is doing to his body by continuing to drink
I remember a doctor telling me that drinking with a bad liver is like mixing gasoline and fire.
Is there any one that he admires that might be able to talk to him?  Do you have children? If he does not want to live for himself, would he want to live for you?...or another family member?
With new laws on medical information becoming effective October 8th do you think it is possible that your husband put your name down to discuss his health problems?
Can you call or go see the doctor to try to talk to him about your husband? Even if he can not or will not give you information you can tell him what you know and how afraid you are.
I am trying to think of anything and everything to help.
I hope others will answer as well.
My best to you
Dee
Hello.

I wish you all the best.
Hector
Thank you so much for your response, it is so nice of you to take the time to respond.
You continue to be my hero.
Love
Dee
I start CyberKnife robotic radiation treatment for my HCC today.
Hoping for a miracle.

Howie
I will be thinking of you and praying for your miracle all day, Howie.

I do believe you will triumph.

Hugs my friend,
Riv
Peace be with you Howie!!!
Good luck Hector!

Mike
Best wishes Howie, even those from the far flung reaches of the antipodes are gunning for you. xx
The very best of wishes, Howie - and we're believing for that miracle!!
My thoughs, my whishes, my prayers are all with you, Howie.

love
We are here supporting you as you go through this.  We all care
You have given each of us so very much
Thank you Howie
Love
Dee
Wishing for that miracle.  Thinking of you.  
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate your insight! It did confirm my feeling about trying to really convince my husband to face his addiction. After his first episode of bleeding he got really scared and did not drink for a couple of months. He started to feel better, especially after getting some plasma in the hospital. Unfortunately the fear of this episode went away and slowly he got back to his bad habits. The next "episode" will probably shock him again, but I don't want him to get to that point.  He needs to stop immediately if he wants to live, and you confirmed this fact for me. Thanks again!!!!! Hope everything is going well for you and keep us posted about your condition!
Best of luck Val.
I hope your husband gets his wale up call before it is too late. Unfortunately things will only get worse for him as his disease advances.

You are in a very difficult situation. I can't imagine what you are going through. I wish you you all the best.

(I will be having my 2nd radiation treatment today. The side effects are rough. Either that or I must be pregnant because water and crackers are about all I can eat. haha).

Cheers!
Hector
Thinking of you Howie, ginger ale helps with nausea or flat soda :)
I am praying this procedure works for you
Dee
Hi others know more about this than I do however I have a friend who has had the bleeding varices many times.  After the first time the chance of death increases.
I am so sorry for what you are going through.
Thanks for your advice, It is good to know I'm not  the only one that goes through a situation like this and have people to give insights along the way. Glad I found this website!
My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I am believing for a miracle.  Peppermint is also very good for nausea.  I like to have it in the form of tea.