recently diagnosed
My father is currently in ICU with cirrhosis of the liver,liver failure and kidney failure.He has been a heavy drinker for as long as I can remember.5 weeks ago he abruptly stopped drinking.I noticed his weight loss and fatigue but i didnt question it because i thought it was related to his quitting drinking.Apparently there was more going on with him then he was letting me and my siblings know.Today when we finally got him to go to the e.r,he was dehydrated and jaundiced he is scheduled for a "tap" test in the morning is on  lactolouse and several other medications.I guess my question is what is gonna happen now? And what can we expect to happen? Can anyone come back from a diagnosis like this? Any information would be helpful.
I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Unfortunately alcoholism is one of the main causes of advanced liver disease as its repeated use over decades can destroy the liver. Most liver transplant centers will require at least 6 months of abstinence before they will consider listing a patient for a donor liver. He will have to prove to the doctors that he will need drink again and will be compliant with all the the transplant centers rules in order to be eligible to be listed on the transplant wait list.

"What is gonna happen now?"

We can't answer your question as we are not doctors and we don't know your father's medical history and current health status. Only the doctors who should be working at a transplant transplant hospital and are treating him can develop a prognosis based on all the information they know about his situation.

Patients who are admitted to ICU are having life-threatening symptoms and complications but whether it is a temporarily condition or chronic one only his doctors would know.

Your father will have to give you permission in writing to let you have access to knowing what is happening with him, as all medical information is private and up to the patient to share or not share. If he has given you permission than you can ask for more information about your father's condition and his prognosis from the main doctor managing his condition which would be a hepatologist.

Best of luck to you and your father!
Hector
Hi there.
I think Hector, in his first paragraph, meant to say '....prove to the doctors that he will never drink again', not 'need drink again'.
Correct. Thanks.

"He will have to prove to the doctors that he will NEVER drink again..."

H
Thank you for your comment.At the time I posted this, I still had some hope regarding my fathers health status and diagnosis.The doctors have told us he is terminal,End stage liver disease,Hepatic Encephalopathy and severe Ascites.The only thing we can do at this point is make him as comfortable and pain free as possible.This is a horrible disease and in my fathers memory I will personally do what I can to raise awareness of it and to encourage organ donation. Good luck to you!