Cold & Flu Community
3 week cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

3 week cold

I've had bronchitis starting around Dec 9th. I feel fine now, however, I still have an occasional cough which produces little mucos but it sounds dry.  My throat is dry and hoarsde I guess from the Q-var  that the dr told me to use until the cough goes away and my dr said the cough could go on for a few more weeks. I don't have asthma,but  I get bronchitis every year at this time.

I saw an allergist last year. He said I don't have asthma, I took a breathing test,  but a possible sinus post nasal drip year long and prescribed me a steriod inhaler for a few weeks which helped.

My question: why do I get bronchitis? Is it the type of virus or am I prone to it?  How can I avoid this? It really is miserable.
Thank you.

P.S. Dr. Choi, I heard you on KGO. Very informative information, Thanks!
Worriewort, thanks for mentioning you heard me!  ;)  Let KGO know you found me informative and i may get a chance to do that more often.

3 weeks of bronchitis, improving to have only now an occasional dry cough is not uncommon.  The q-var is a inhaled steroid that can help decrease the inflammation over the next few weeks.  

The breathing test your allergist gave you was likely spirometry and is very helpful in diagnosing asthma.

Post nasal drip is very much helped by nasal steroid inhalers.  Continuing it when you have a persistent cough can help reduce the risk of postnasal drip as a reason for ongoing cough.

Many people get colds this time of year.  Like I said on the broadcast, the best idea is to avoid close prolonged contact with sick folks, who could cough & sneeze in your face.

Sorry for your misery, get well soon!