A bad cough
I am 35 year old non smoker who has had a bad cough for over two weeks. This cough started with flu like symptoms.  I have tried different kinds of cough medicine. None of them work. I have been to see two doctors and they have done exactly the same thing. They checked me with a stethoscope and did a quick assessment. They recommended that I continue with the cough linctus and take some paracetamol.
In addition to this cough, I have a pain in my sides, which is made worse when I cough.
I live in the centre of Madrid and most people I know have had some kind of virus recently. Many people are coughing a lot in public.
It started to get better after a couple of days rest. However, it quickly got worse again.
The pain in your sides is from straining your rib muscles when you cough.

When my patients have a really forceful "barking" cough for more than 2 weeks, I consider pertussis as a possible cause.

A virus is possible, but usually improves after 2 weeks.  If it quickly got worse, that's not typical for a virus.