Cold & Flu Community
Brown Mucus?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Brown Mucus?

After having swollen gums and post nasal drip for a week, I suddenly woke up this Monday with a weird feeling in my lungs and a cough. The cough itself was a bit dry but it didn't hurt. Every morning I'd wake up with mucus and I'd cough some up but during the day and night the cough would be dry. I seemed to be getting better but last night, after eating a few potato chips, I suddenly got worse. This morning I woke up with the same thing (mucus, coughing) and while I was eating my turkey sandwich, I coughed up some really thick mucus. I spit it out and it was brown. Brown mucus doesn't seem normal, but I don't cough up mucus much....should I see a doctor?
Avatar n tn
Forgot to mention that I only coughed up brown mucus once...honestly when I cough up mucus I end up swallowing it since I can't fully get it to come out. :(
A week of these symptoms is too long, go see a doctor, they'll listen to your lungs and see if this sounds like pneumonia
Avatar n tn
my son has had the swine flu for a couple of days, he has been coughing up brownish mucus, should i worry?