Cold & Flu Community
Can't stop Coughing, Ears are in pain and ringing, headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

About a week ago I started getting a sore throat with a low grade fever of 99.5.  I took Nyquill and that seemed to help but then I developed a dry cough and it has gotten much worse over the past few days with fits that can last up to 20 mins.  Its really disrupting my life and I'm not getting much sleep.  My ears also hurt a little but I have a constant loud ringing mostly in my right ear.  And today woke up with a sever stabbing headache on the left side of my head.

I did go to my PCP on Thursday and she said that my lungs sounded fine and that only my left ear looked a little red.  She proscribed robitussin with codeine and amoxicillin.  The robitussin with codeine only helps a little and I havent taken the antibiotic yet beacause I have gotten severly sick from them before.

Dose this sound like something I should be taking antibiotic s for?  
Is there anything else that might help the cough?  
Has anyone else ever had anything like this?

Thanks for your help!
We havnt talked in awhile! And oddly enough i to have just recently gotten a cold. One that has caused me to get dizzy, hot and cold fevers, none stop stuffy nose and head, headaches and am developing a cough at the moment though mine is rather wet than dry. It is also making my tummy a little queasy. FUN!

I did however not so long ago have a similar thing to what you are describing which was a cough that got so bad i could barely catch my breath, it just kept coming, and an ear ache that had me in tears. It turned out that i had an upper viral throat infection that was causing a small amount of mucus to form in my throat and lungs. And this triggered an Inner ear infection. I had to take antibiotics for both, ear drops for my ear and medication for my throat.

I hope this helps a little. How have you been ? I've been dying to know.