Chest pains
I had the flu a couple weeks ago.  I'm still struggling with dry coughs, but they've become painful in my left chest area.  It's been at least a week maybe, and I was getting a little better until tonight while/after I ate some strawberry yogurt.  Then, the pains got really bad.  My left chest hurts (underneath and left of my breast area) when I breathe, move, touch that area, and especially when I cough.  I don't have a fever.  You can't see anything from the surface that there's something wrong underneath.  It seems to be more of a "surface" pain, like a bruise or like a carpet burn but underneath the skin, and being a little "poked" by my ribs or something.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I guess it's just really raw feeling underneath.  Maybe from the dry/tiring coughs I've had recovering from the flu.  

What can I do to relieve the pain?  I tried taking pain killers once last week, but the pain killers did nothing to lessen the pain, so I'm not really willing to try pain killers again.  Why has dry coughs become so much more painful?  Is it the dry, cold air now that it's winter?  I'm drinking lots of fluids, but why all of a sudden, while and after I just ate some yogurt would my situation worsen so quickly and suddenly?  It's been about 3 hours since it worsened, and it still really hurts...
Many folks have a dry cough for weeks after a cold.  I can't imaging how yogurt could worsen things, i think that's a coincidence.  A surface pain sounds like a rib sprain from coughing.  The concern is that it could infrequently be a blood clot in the lung, and you need to see a doctor to rule that out.  The doctor can prescribe narcotic pain relievers strong enough to give you relief, and they also stop the cough.