Cold & Flu Community
Chest pains
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chest pains

I had the flu a couple weeks ago.  I'm still struggling with dry coughs, but they've become painful in my left chest area.  It's been at least a week maybe, and I was getting a little better until tonight while/after I ate some strawberry yogurt.  Then, the pains got really bad.  My left chest hurts (underneath and left of my breast area) when I breathe, move, touch that area, and especially when I cough.  I don't have a fever.  You can't see anything from the surface that there's something wrong underneath.  It seems to be more of a "surface" pain, like a bruise or like a carpet burn but underneath the skin, and being a little "poked" by my ribs or something.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I guess it's just really raw feeling underneath.  Maybe from the dry/tiring coughs I've had recovering from the flu.  

What can I do to relieve the pain?  I tried taking pain killers once last week, but the pain killers did nothing to lessen the pain, so I'm not really willing to try pain killers again.  Why has dry coughs become so much more painful?  Is it the dry, cold air now that it's winter?  I'm drinking lots of fluids, but why all of a sudden, while and after I just ate some yogurt would my situation worsen so quickly and suddenly?  It's been about 3 hours since it worsened, and it still really hurts...