Cold & Flu Community
Cold -> Flu -> ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cold -> Flu -> ?

I have had a terrible cough that's lasted over two weeks now..  It started out one day with slight coughing that got worse.  The next day, I was unable to get out of bed, with a slight fever and chills, but got much sicker.  The cough was very dry and I started to lose my voice.  I was whispering for a few days afterwards, continuing to cough.  I went to see a doctor, who prescribed me antibiotics z-pak, and concluded I had a normal cold.  I took Tylenol Cough + Cold for a few more days.  My cough was still getting worse, with some mucus I would cough up.  I would cough until I got dizzy, and headaches would result.  It looked like I was getting better after the first few days, but it would get worse the next day.  Then I went to another dr. who gave me Tessalon pearls - which didn't work.  I did not have the flu at this point (1 week since it started).  My cough continued for so long and hard, I began to develop a chest pain on my right side.  I had to hold in my coughs, because it was so painful.  Yet, I continued coughing hard.  I finally gave up and went to see a 3rd dr.,, who said I had the flu, and who prescribed codeine, tamiflu and the purple round breathing item for potential asthma.  I have taken it for 3 days now, and the severity of my coughs have lessened, but I am experiencing pain that has moved to my lower sternum.  Last night I was coughing up again..  Is this a sign of pneumonia?  Is the chest pain a normal side effect that will go away and not cause any long-term damage?  Or have I developed bronchitis?  Should I go to see another doctor?  I have already taken about 2 weeks off from work, and have run out of personal days and vacation time..