Cold & Flu Community
Cold keeps coming back every 2 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cold keeps coming back every 2 weeks

I was not able to get a flu shot this year. I used to rarely get sick in the past few years (5+ years or so).

Anyhow, I keep getting a cold (runyn nose with greenish mucus, no fewer or aches) every two weeks. The first time in Oct, then in Nov I did not go to a doctor and just did home remedies. When I got sick again in Dec I went to the docs and got penicillin, 500g 3 times a day for 10 days. I completed the course. But here I am two weeks later and have a stuffed nose again.

I'm planning to go to the doc again and have a appointment later in week, however was curious should I be looking for something beyond a cold. I also have allergies, but only in spring due to pollen, could these be allergies, or maybe allergies that end up giving me a nasal infection.
I also keep getting sick every 2 weeks. I have a terrible sore throat, stuffy nose and body aches for about a week. Then I get well for about a week, then I get the same sick symptoms all over again. I am on my 4th round today. People at my work are getting the same thing- what could this be? I feel really good and healthy inbetween rounds.
I'm thinking this was (and thankfully was) some kind of a bug going around. I have been hearing this from a couple of other folks. So far it seems its finally gone for me.
I have the same thing going on.  Did you find anything to cure it?  I have been getting sick on and off for three months.  
I have the exact same thing.  Same amount of episodes, same time frame.  I'm anxious to see the response.  Please share.
I'm on my 3rd cold since mid Dec. One cold just seems to finish & it all starts over. Nasal congestion, coughing, & twice now bronchitis. I felt like I might be turning the corner but tonight I'm getting another scratchy sore throat which is always the beginning symptom. This would be the 4th one. My husband is having recurring colds as well. What's going on?
Me too. I am on my third cold of the winter.  One in December, one in January and now one in March.
everybody seems to have colds at the moment. at least 4 people have been off from my office in the last week.
In my opinion the reason it keeps coming back is because we are not giving our bodies time to recover. It is important to carry on the remedies you use when you are in the thick of a cold for about a week after you feel it has gone or it is very likely it will come back again.
I use a black elderberry syrup when i feel the onset of a cold and use it for at least a week after i am well as it boosts the immune system and is full of antioxidants. This along with extra vitamin C should stop colds coming back.
I went to the doctor for this, my third cold of the winter, and he told me that I have something called a "para virus" that is going around.  It started off with phlegm in throat and a hoarse voice and then gradually changed into a cough with chest tightness and feeling tired and weak.  The cough is actually quite bad at night.  Anybody ever heard of this?  Know how long it will last?  
Well  what the heck this will be my fourth  cold since december and my wife is on her third.Has anyone figured it out yet.Never in my life has this happened to either of us.Starting to get conspiracey(sp?) theory thoughts.Is this also part of the symptoms? Have tried everything,but keeps coming back.HELP
I get a cold every 6 to 8 days, starts off with a bout of sneezing or a runny nose (like a tap that suddenly turns on), stuffed head and nose, feel better after 6 to 7 days, have one good day and bang..... starts again. This has been going on for the 3rd year now, summer I only get a couple but Sept to May it is * every * week. No help from doctors on this, just keep taking the meds... which is no help really.
It would be great if anyone who has suffered from the same and found a solution to post it and hopefully help the rest of us.

exact same symptoms (severe sore throat then coughing at night and green phlegm in the morning and throughout the day) and time frame (every two weeks starting in Nov.)

I had this last winter for about 4 months then when it got warmer I thought I was cured.  has anyone else had this previous winters?
I am having similar situations as everyone here mentions only thing is for me I have a slight change of which I have not read here. I have had no fever or headaches, however  sneezing, runny nose , & a dry cough that occurs at night and clear mucus in excess which will for a duration of 2 weeks it the cold goes away and returns. This was recurrent for the past 3 months. Then there was a change. These symptoms continued however as of last month a new symptom occured. I don't realize I'm cold but I will be find in regard to body temperature I don't feel cold--nothing till I go for bed and get under the covers I have a severe case of chills throughout my body. It takes a few hours before the chills to cease. Once they're gone they don't return for the duration of the cold. So if it takes 2 hrs, 3 hrs, etc. to warm up then that's all they'll last & not return till the next round when the cold returns 2 weeks later. However, during the night once the chills cease I do sweat to which someone told me it could be I have a 'bug' in me at the time because once morning hits I'm very tired and at times tend to over sleep . After 3 days rest I've returned to my old self. I'm on my 3rd day of recovery now from my last episode now till next episode occurs..hopefully never. HELP PLEASE.
I am having the same kind of flu bug.

Guess i do not have to repeat what i have been going tru lately as everything is all described in the posts.

Anyone have any idea how it will eventually go away? Or how to get it cured?
i get a cold every saturday for one day. i have been getting this every week since september and i just dont know why? i am not getting much sleep on a weekend because of it. what can i do
Oh my goodness, strange enough the same thing is happening to me.
I'm full of Goldenseal+echinacea, garlic and such, but still every other day I'm sick. Two days at the most and maybe sometimes three.
It just keeps happening like it's ground hogs day.
It starts with a weird scratch in my throat, then sometimes I will sneeze and sneeze...and then for the most part I have that awful feeling you get when you just start to get sick. Which is worst then actually being sick, because you feel like you are on the border, and you know there is a fight going on in your body...but that you are losing it. Then suddenly it's a brand new day and I feeeeeeeel good, and the "B-A-M", it kicks me in the throat again. ****sigh****
I get flu like symptoms every 4 to 6 weeks and it last 3 to 5 days, my urine and blood work comes back normal ... Any suggestions
Hope everyone is well.  Doctor said my 9 year old daughter had a cold virus 2 weeks ago, 103 fever, achy, runny, stuffy nose nose - fever went away but nose running never really stopped all together.  Now 103 fever again.  

Any thoughts - West Nile??
The same thing is happing to me.  It cleared up for one day and started all over again. It's not like colds in the old days when 1st you started sneezing then went the head and chest last a cough and it then cleared up. Now you start w/ a broncal cough and goes on from there. Maybe it has something to do with all the birds falling from the air.
It seems like in the last 10 years colds and flu has become stronger and last longer. Perhaps they have. I use to only get sick once a year but in the last 5 years, I use to get sick at least twice a year and the severe 104 temp, body aches kind. Then, I was usually one who did not get chest colds with mucus. But in the last few years I have.

There are a number of natural anti-viral and anti bacterial substances you can take for colds and flu but most importantly is vitamin D. Please take the time to research the benefit of increased vitamin D. According to recent research most people are deficient in vitamin D. With optimum levels of Vitamin D, you are less likely to even get sick. If you do get sick you are less likely to develop into a sever case. The Vitamin D council recommends sunlight exposure of at least ½ hour on Caucasian skin daily to produce enough (10,000 IU) of Vitamin D to maintain good health.

IF you find you are getting sick more frequently you may want to increase your vitamin D levels. The recommended supplemental dosage recommended by the vitamin D council is 5,000 IU daily.

When I feel a cold or flu coming on I start taking a bit more vitamin D, olive leafed extract and recently, elderberry extract. I have a bad tooth ache the last week and just started taking elderberry extract and the tooth ache is gone. I believe it to be the combination of that and olive leaf I had already been taking. Yesterday my boss who is sick with that chest flu talked to me for a combined total of 45 minutes in close proximity and after I went home I felt like I was coming down with that flu. He had it just before Christmas and it is now back. Another coworker had it a few times as well. I started to get in just before Christmas too however with higher levels of Vitamin D, Olive leaf extract a good multi vitamin/mineral, I have been able to prevent the flu from developing past feeling tired with achy legs and back.

Hey folks,

If you catch a cold often, it means that you immune system is weak. It's ok to catch a cold once in every 4 or 5 months. That's the regular frequency.

Here are the solutions:

1. Sun exposure (yes, you heard me right). Show you bare hands, legs, face, etc.. to the sun. Usually 20 minutes is enough if you have fair skin ... otherwise about 40 minutes.

2. Vitamin D. At least 1000 IUs a day for about 5 days. Don't exceed dosage.

3. Vitamin A. At least 400 IUs a day while you are having the cold symptoms.

4. Rest. Working from home is not the same as resting!

Good luck folks. Follow my advice and you will be healthy again.

Regards!

- Nalin

(A Sri Lankan ... with ancestors that lived in the Island of Sri Lanka for the 3000 years ... from a family of doctors)
I too have the same problems.  It started off twice a year (2008) then six times (2009) now 8 times (2010) a year.  Starts off with sore throat then runny nose (clear) with flu like symptoms (fatigue, fever, aches, and cough). After 1 or 2 days I get nasal infection (yellow mucus) which then requires antibiotics.  It has been such a strain on life.  I can prolong the time period between episodes with lots of rest but not by much, maybe a month.  I have a 4 year old in day care who is also always sick (normal for kids in daycare) so maybe I’m getting what he has.  It seems as if every time he gets sick I do as well but not sure.  Another theory is allergies.  The first symptoms are very similar to allergies. And then because of the nasal congestion the nasal cavities don’t clear out properly which causes nasal infection which is the fever and major fatigue.  I get sick for about 5-6 days and then feel better.  6-8 weeks go by and it starts all over again.  I am going for allergy testing in a few weeks.  I hope to get some answers soon.  I will also be getting tested for Tuberculosis and Drug-Resistant Streptococcus Pneumoniae (DRSP) Disease.  
I just saw this thread and wonder if anyone has figured out what is wrong?  Because Im experiencing something similar. I keep getting flue every 2-3 weeks, it normally lasts between 7 to 14 days. I will recover then get it again. I have been to 3 doctors who have not been able to help, I asked the pathologist if they could run tests and they said they would not know what to look for. I went to a homeopath and nothing has worked. The obvious reason would be a low immune system but I eat really healthily, I lead an active lifestyle, I don't smoke, I avoid stress, I get enough sleep...I have been taking immune boosters, multi vitamins, zinc...none of it works. I can't take it anymore. It has been going on for almost 2 years now, I am using all my money on doctors bills, I am losing out on work, it is interfering with my life. I am an athlete and regularly compete but this is interfering with training as well.  Every doctor I go to is baffled. The last one suggested yuppie flu, but the odds of that is so unlikely. Does anyone know what this could be? Please. Please. Please!  
That's very interesting - you sound *exactly* in my situation, even the 'athletic' part (I'm a personal trainer and fitness specialist, and typically in very good shape).

I've been sick for 2 years, every 3 weeks for a period of a week or so. I've seen multiple GP's and am currently seeing a really good physician, though he hasn't really been able to figure anything out so far. At first we thought it might be my allergies (dust mite allergies), I've invested in hypoallergenic sheets which helped my allergies a *lot*, but I still get sick all the time.

My symptoms are:
- fatigue (during ill periods)
- constant mild fever
- bowel upsets

I really don't know what to do anymore, I've been sick for years and everybody always asked me why I'm sick - it's almost like they think I'm making it up or I enjoy the attention or something. I'm just so 'sick' of this. I just want to be healthy again.

I'm trying really hard not to self-diagnose, but it's very hard when the doctors are unable to help.
Same exact issues as you are reporting and the person before you.  It is SO frustrating.  I can feel myself getting sick again today b/c I am suddenly so fatigued.  It really interferes with my life and being able to do fun things.  I had to spend Thanksgiving alone last year b/c I got sick then too.  Mine's been going on a year now though I had about a six mo. reprieve but now it's back.  Baffling.  Loads of money on doctors and I drive myself crazy trying to eat nothing but immune system boosting foods.  I've also been a vegetarian for 22 years and I'm trim, active when not sick, and have never smoked.  I used to be so healthy.  I've also been eating b12 and zinc rich foods since vegetarians can lack those, but nothing is working.  The only time I seem to be healthy is when I'm on antibiotics for one of my sinus infections.  Also getting recurrent middle ear infections and fevers, then followed by congestion and other cold symptoms.   I had weeks of sick time but have now burned through it all and will have to start using vacation time.  
WOW i thought i was the only one LOL
My syptoms (symptoms) start with slight sore throat  than runny nose followed by clogged up chest and coughing up flem (phlegm), sometimes i will also get a sore ear.

I go to doctor have antibiotics, it comes back, take more antibiotics it all goes away,  was all good for 2 months exactly now it is back again
I had a cold when I went to San Francisco this July and now im getting runny nose, sneezing, eye infection and ear infection every 2 week. I went to many doctor and they told me its a seasonal flu or a allergy. I tried all the medicine but it didnt help, it only keeps the flu down but it doesnt heal me.

Help plz
Hi, i have the same things going on, every Friday i wake up with a sore throat, stuffy nose, its been going on for about 4 months now and last for 3 to 4 days, i seen a DR, and he told me oh nothing is wrong, just drink more, i drink alot of water and tea, so i know that is not it, has anyone said what to do ?
This might help some people but not all.

If you have chronic sinus infections, it might be because of a tooth problem (even if you aren't having mouth pain). In the eighties, my mother was constantly getting sick for almost a year, she later found out that it was because of tooth that had died and became infected. The nerve in the tooth was dead so she didn't feel direct pain from it. A chronic infection of any kind will put a major burden on your body's immune system.

So if all else fails, visit the dentist and tell them about your symptoms.
I have had the same happen to me.  I was sick for two weeks, cold like symptoms, you know, the coughing, green phlegm, congested sinuses.  After two weeks of being fed up, I finally went to the Doctor's and was prescribed a course of Apoxicillan or Amoxicillan, either way, you get the point.  Finished the entire bottle, now, literally 9 days later, I get a nasty sore throat and green phlegm again.  I've read all the blogs above but not sure how long to wait before I go see the doctor again?  I did have pnuemonia (pneumonia) about 5 years ago and I am a recent quitter of smoking ( almost 7 months now ) but this sickness is really affecting my job and my life, HELP!!!!!!!
You'd think with all the people in here having the exact same issue, someone would have found a solution. Usually once or twice in the summer and several times a winter, I have this problem. Starts with a scratchy throat and weakness/jitteriness in the muscles. I keep thinking it's a cold coming and I can stave it off with Airborne and Echinacea tea or something, but inevitably it turns into minor nasal congestion, followed by a sinus infection and feels like a clogged ear. At some point during this, it moves into my chest/throat. Sometimes it's gone in two weeks, last one was three weeks. I was better for about two weeks and starting to feel "normal" when the scratchy throat came back again.

Just for the sake of finding a common denominator, I take a men's multi, plus vitamin D. When my bloodwork came back, I was D-deficient, even with a 2000 IU a day supplement. I stay indoors quite a bit. Also take an Omega supplement and Cal/Mag/Zinc. Have a pretty stressful job, a kid in preschool (I think it started before he went to school, but it hasn't helped), eat not great, but not terrible. Try to do a protein shake with greens and almond milk at least a couple times a week.

Wonder if I could be over-doing the Vitamin D even though my last bloodwork showed deficient? Like some here, taking Vitamin C often seems to cause a cold.
Since moving to Germany, I have been constantly fighting sickness. I feel like I am fighting it everyday. I take tons of vitamins and when I don't, I get really sick. I always have a sore throat and headach. I eat really healthy and get enough nutrients from the food I eat (I eat meat and tons of veggies). I have been diagnosed with thyroid problems  but I take meds so I can't image that the two are linked. I was thinking that maybe it could be allergies. I am from a very dry climate and have moved to a humid climate. Maybe that could be the reason.
Same here, only the whole house has got it. Every one of the six of us gets flu-like symptoms every two to three weeks, lasting for a week. Antibiotics seem to help but it comes back immediately once the antibiotics are done.

So far it's causing respiratory distress, kidney issues, fevers over a hundred, and extreme fatigue. I've been researching and it seems hardly anyone's taking environmental factors into account. We've narrowed it down to severe change of temperature (we keep having to turn the heat on and then off), the dry heat causing bacterial growth, or possibly a high level of mold (we live in an old house with poor insulation).

Unfortunately, two of the symptoms seems to be an inability to notice when we're getting too hot or cold and poor circulation (whole body's overheated but extremities remain cold). It makes it difficult to determine the cause as well as fight any infection.

This time of year where we live there's a lot of pollen and mold in the air, so I'm leaning toward those factors. I personally have never had allergies to pollen but bad reactions to mold, so I'm leaning that way. But it's entirely possible to develop an allergy to something you're exposed to a lot of (something I've been discovering personally over the last few years), so it could just be allergens.

It doesn't help that we have three children in the house, two of which are elementary kids (and currently down for the second time with 102+ fevers).

If we all continue discussing and taking into account factors which might cause it (geographic, environmental, habits, etc) we might be able to diagnose the cause and help others. I'm sorry, but it seems like the doctors just don't have a clue, and that's worrisome.
My suggestion to those who are serious about finding and beating this: a symptom journal. Describe every days' symptoms, even on days you feel good. If there aren't symptoms on a particular day, write it down. Keep up to date on humidity and mold content (weather.com supplies this info). Make a note of where you live and other people who display similar symptoms. Try to keep track of your nutrition too, like vitamins and what you're eating.

Keep in mind that it takes anywhere from a couple days to a week to get sick. If you use that logic and keep track, you should at least be able to narrow down the time frame for different factors. If you look back in your notes yoou should find a common theme and can then work toward cutting that bit out.

Also note any times you leave the heater running too high or when you leave a window open at night. Check around your houses for dead critters, to see if it's affecting the wildlife or if the wildlife is affecting you.

I've already started with my journal. If you don't have time or are always on the go, get a pocket journal. They're tiny and useful. If you have a smartphone, there's a handy app called the period app that is supposed to help women keep track of their period and symptoms. It doesn't necessarily have to be used for this purpose and the guys could always use the excuse of "it's my girlfriend's". Lol. But it'll give you a calendar, symptoms, and a notes section. It's one of many ways I keep track of mine.

This can be treatable and possibly cureable if we can eliminate different causes and factors which might depress the immune system. It's a long and turbulant road, but it's got a shining future at the end.
Thanks for posting everyone.  Me and my five children are all getting this head cold/sore throat/ cough.  Healthy one week or two- sick the next!!!  Round three!!!
yes so have I when I went to the doctor which I rarely do the waiting room was full of p[eople and kids with the same ...I was given anti biotics for sore throat and ear ache.I feel better but still not well ..I think its environmental allergies
Hi ya, I had this, colds all the time sneezing, I also for around 4 years had a really tite stomach, lots of gas and indigestion... I had all of this for about 4 years , I went to loads of doctors who said it was stress and put me on anti depressants no joy there... Anyway to cut a long story short I started to take ant allergy tablets just in case I had an allergy, I took them for about two weeks (a pack of 14), still didn't work, anyway I asked my partner to get me some more just to keep it up for a while so she did , I took one and within around 30 mins my cold stopped and I felt much better, we'll I checked the packets and realised there are two types and when she had purchased the second pack she had purchased the other type.. I'm sorry I can't list the types but just ask chemist buy 7 of each take one , see if it clears you up if not the next try the other type , my stomach also has been much better. Hope this helps.. I now buy the one a day of the sort I need and buy them from the pound shop... Once you know what sort you need you can buy cheaper from other places...
When you sneeze, take 250 mg of vitamin c and an echinacea drop.  When ever I do that, I don't get sick.  When I sneeze and don't take vitamin c and echinacea drop - I usually get sick.
What are you talking about - ant allergy tablets.  Give names!!!!!  People (like me) are desperate!  Two different kinds - what kinds????  My pharmacist, chemist, don't know what on earth I'm talking about.  Please explain - make yourself more clear!!!!!!!!!!
I think he mean "anti" not Ant
Hi everyone, I was starting to think there was something really terribly wrong with me. But I see that a lot of you are suffering from the same thing. Mine starts with ringing in my ears and a plugged head. Then a cough and here it goes. I'm on my 4th cold this winter/spring season. Today I'm feeling like I have water in my ear canal, like when you going swimming and the ears get plugged up because water gets in there!

I hope we all start feeling better!
Hi everyone, I was starting to think there was something really terribly wrong with me. But I see that a lot of you are suffering from the same thing. Mine starts with ringing in my ears and a plugged head. Then a cough and here it goes. I'm on my 4th cold this winter/spring season. Today I'm feeling like I have water in my ear canal, like when you going swimming and the ears get plugged up!

I hope we all start feeling better!
I' ve been sick with a recurring cold for 12 weeks now. It lasts about a week then goes away for the most part and then a week later it starts all over again. So annoying! It's about to make me nuts! Three different antibiotics now and no help! Also been having a lot of gastrointestinal issues....pain, gas/bloating and diarrhea. I'm about to go broke with this mess after 6 visits to doctors.
Mine started 3 years ago and I have been getting sick like clockwork about every 3 to 5 weeks. It's the same thing every time. All nasal crap and then just pour nasty yellow and green stuff out of my head, nose, chest.

Over half the time it starts with extreme chills when I go to bed followed by 102 fever and then the nasal symptoms start few days later. Then I'm fine for about 3 weeks and it starts again. Sometimes I don't get the fever and chills but I would say about 75% of the time I do.

I have seen doctors, allergists, etc. I am at a complete loss on what to do. I am getting very depressed by it and the doctors are absolutely zero help and I mean zero help. It's almost like they don't even believe you. It is not normal to get sick every 3 to 4 weeks with the same nasal symptoms. I really don't know what else to do. Never been sick so much in my life and it's always the same nasal symptoms every time. In fact got it right now.
I have also been getting sick about 2 times a month for about 2 years. I have gone to doctors and my blood work is normal. It is so frustrating and hard. I eat healthy and exercise. I just bought a book called The Immune System Recovery Plan by Susan ****, M.D.  The book is very helpful. I also eliminated dairy and all wheat/gluten and feel much better. I got the flu a few days ago and I am trying to stay positive. Taking vitamin D is very important.
I am sorry to hear other people are getting sick often and I hope the book will help.

Take care,
Cm

Take care,
Cm
After reading all these, I think my problem is the worst.  I am having cold from my childhood (3,4 years).  Now I am 42.  I am getting cold once in every week (only for one day).  Nowadays it is happening on mondays.  I have tried all the branches of medicine (Modern medicine, ayurveda, yunani, Sidha and homoeo).  Now again I am trying homoeo.  I am also having Asthma.
I think it is because of the flu jab... i work with elderly people and as so as they start having the flu jab i get a cold, each year i get more and more this year since end of October i have had a cold every couple of weeks...got ne now it is really getting me down..

I think the medical profession need to start looking in to this.... its like the over use of antibiotics and MRSA they over prescribed antibiotics ..and now they found the antibiotics are not working . i think the flu jab has caused our poblem
hey i think you should use a good anti allergic. rigix is one of them.
I am on my fourth time with constant coughing and  I helped several people with the same thing I recently found on another post.  Seriously, try NYQUIL COLD & FLU...that simple.  You will notice on the bottle the ingredient for the coughing...I was better after 3 days... my coughing was gone!  It is a virus...I started taking it again and am better already...amazing!
Hi Jaye,
I am also very frustrated. Every few weeks I have to put my life on hold. I stop going to the gym, riding my bicycle and try and save every kilo joule of energy to get on with the essentials - like making it to work (and covering up / joking that I have man flu again). My symptoms are similar - extreme fatigue, cold symptoms (sore throat and green phlegm) and bowel upset. I have just gone to the GP again. He is running blood tests. I know they will come back negative. I will have a nice bill to pay and he will make me feel like I really am a hypochondriac! I will let you know if I hear anything. I am on an up phase now and it is a sunny day in Switzerland today so I am looking forward to jumping on my bike :) Cheers Chris