Cold & Flu Community
Cold or Flu or Something Else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cold or Flu or Something Else?

Hi there, if you could read through my symptoms and week so far and give any insight that would be amazing!

Sunday evening I started to feel a drip in my throat and could tell something was coming on. It persisted through Sunday night and into Monday. At the end of Monday I developed a scratchy throat feeling as if I needed to constantly clear it.

On Tuesday morning I awoke to a stuffy nose and headache. It felt just like a normal sinus headache so I figured I was coming down with a cold. I continued to blow my nose a little throughout the day, but it wasn't really runny. All clear mucus as well.

Wednesday I awoke once again to a stuffy nose and headache and decided to make a trip to the drugstore. I bought some Advil Cold & Sinus and it relieved my symptoms. I've heard it's not great to use medicine if it's not too bad so I only took one pill and haven't used it since.

Thursday, yesterday, I almost felt all better. My nose seemed to have become less stuffy and I had a very minor headache when I woke up. I took one normal Advil to relieve the headache and went on about my day as usual.

Today I woke up and had a stuffy nose again, but no headache. The mucus I'm blowing out is still clear, same stuff. Around 3-4 hours ago I started to feel a bit warm so I took my temperature and got a 99.5 reading which seems pretty high for me, I usually hover around 97.8. I didn't take anything for the fever because I've heard starving a low-grade fever can be a good thing for fighting off infections. Since a few hours ago my temperature has gone down to around 97.9 to 98.7 but I still feel warm and I'm having chills and a few joint aches. I didn't have a fever or chills all week long though....

Do you think this is my body fighting the cold off for good or maybe the start of something worse? Is there a chance I've come down with the flu on top of what was a cold? I guess I'm just confused why I came down with a fever and chills this evening but all I've had all week is a stuffy nose and headache.

Thanks in advance!
Im having the same issue... My husband and I are ttc. I been trying to find out if this could also be an early pregnancy symptom also. I have many other symptoms.... fatigue,  sore tender breast, Blue veins showing in breast., etc... my cycle is not due for another week but today I started spotting..... I been researching all day and found out that if we are then today should be implantation day..... im trying not to stress but I took a test last week and today both neg..... I was told by many that I may have took them too early..... if u find out or if anyone has any idea what is going on then please help..... we are both praying for the best.
You have a cold virus.  It may develop into influenza or it may not.

Drink plenty of warm fluids, avoid milk products while you are ill.  Soup is also a good choice.  Do not worry too much if you are off your food as long as you take in your fluids so that you do not become dehydrated.

Stay at home and rest and take pain relief as prescribed on the packet for any aches and pains if you need to.  

If you do venture out, make sure that you are well wrapped up and cover your mouth and nose so that you do not breath in the cold air.

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are lots of viruses going around and it can drag on for weeks before you get rid of it.

Steam inhalations are good to clear any blocked up air passages.  In a bowl pour in a kettleful of boiling water, taking care not to get scalded.  Put in some Vick or olbas oil.  Bend your head over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel and breathe in the steam through your nose and out through your mouth.  Do this 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.

wishing you a speedy recovery