Cold & Flu Community
Cold or Flu or general bug ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cold or Flu or general bug ?

I have recently started a new job, its very very busy.

I don't know whether I have a cold or a flu or just a bug.

I started having a sore throat, which is weird as I have no tonsils. Then after 2 days I got a really stuffed up, runny nose, then the next day my sinuses were blocked up. So I went to work today hoping I would be fine, but my back ached so much. My arms would give little aches aswell, I just felt so tired and drowsy.
Then when I came home, I said to my Dad "Is it really hot or is it just me ?" And he said "its you." So I took my temperature and I have a fever.

Any help I appreciate !

Thankyou !!
You may have a viral or bacterial infection.
You can still get sore throats even though you do not have any tonsils.
If you are bringing up yellow or green mucus, this indicates that you have an infection.  Also your temperature will fluctuate with an infection too, by going up and down.

Take pain relief medication as prescribed on the packet.  Lemsip is good.
Make sure you drink plenty of warm drinks, keep of milky drinks for now.
Lemon and honey in hot water is soothing.

Do steam inhalations by having a bowl of hot water with Vick or olbas oil in and with a towel over your head and the bowl, breathe in the steam.  Take care not to get scalded.  My doctor advised me to do this 4 times a day for a duration of 10 minutes each time.

You could make an appointment to see your doctor who will be able to examine you and tell you if you have a viral or bacterial infection.  For a bacterial infection the doctor will give you a course of antibiotics.  But if he says it is a virus, then unfortunately your immune system will have to do the work.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ok, I am taking lemsip but I cant stand the taste of it, but it works !

Its just the question of whether going into work tomorrow on not.

Thankyou.
If your temperature is still raised and you feel very ill, then stay home.  It will take you longer to recover if you don't rest and drink plenty of fluids.  Plus the fact your work colleagues will not appreciate you spreading your germs.

Lemsip comes in Lemon and Blackcurrant flavours.

Don't forget to do the steam inhalations.  
Thankyou :)
How have you been feeling today?  Any sign of an improvement to getting well again?
Yes I am feeling alot better thankyou, still a bit stuffed up but hey ho.
That's good.  Keep doing the steam inhalations to clear up your nasal and sinus passages.

Best wishes.