Cold & Flu Community
Common cold before surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Common cold before surgery

I have been waiting for almost a year for gallbladder surgery and it's coming up this week. Tonight though, I feel like I have a cold coming on. What can I do?
Dear kaoldt,  if you have any cold or flu like syptoms (symptoms), you need to let the anesthesia Doctor or the surgeon know this because if your symtoms (symptoms) become worse, being put to sleep can cause pnumonia. The other reason is, if you show up for the surgery and you tell them that you have these symtoms (symptoms), you run the risk of your surgery being cancelled. This not only wasted your time but the hospitals time and money setting up the OR for you. They can put another patient in your time slot and re- shedule you in their time slot or whenever you get over this. Their is always the possibility that they may go through with your surgery because this operation is now performed laproscopic and only takes 15-20 once he begins. It's better to caution on the safe side for any routine procedure. I would let your Physician now of this. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery..
just let them know before op just to be sure