Cold & Flu Community
Cough getting worse

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cough getting worse

I have had a cough since Oct. 19 of this year. I don't have a flu, I believe I have a mild fever. I have no sore throat, It started as a light cough with no mucus or flem (phlegm). Just a dry cough.

It has now progressed to a strong cough with some flem (phlegm). Still no fever but gaining slight headache when coughing.

I have been drinking tea, I have been trying to rest more, I am taking Vicks Cold/Flu Relief. It helps with the headaches but it doesn't seem to supress my cough in the slightest. Cough drops down seem to lessen my cough either. Before taking the Vicks I used to take a Tylenol pill before sleeping.

I would like for this cough to go away. Any suggestions on this? Are there basic actions I should be taking? How long is too long for having this cough? Any recommended drugs I should be taking? Any home remedies you believe would help me?
I think anything more than 2 weeks you should go to the doctor.  Just my opinion.
If you had runny nose and congestion the cough is your defense, it is trying to expectorate the mucous you have in your throat.  Once you get rid of the phlegm you will no longer have the cough.  Take some Mucinex DM, this is a little pricey but works it is OTC med and it will be gross at first because this will let you get all the phlegm out, believe me it isnt pretty.  Dont let your self get sicker so take this medicine, also if you are prone to allergies take a vitamin to prevent this and not to make the allergies worsen.  I take Emergen-C year round.  It is a vitamin drink.  It comes in packets and you just add it to your water.  It comes in many flavors and you can take it everyday as a vitamin supplement.  
You are in the same boat as what seems like half of America.  I have it, and  everyone I know has either had it, has it now, or is just getting it.  It is miserable, because nothing works.  I started with a general cold - stuffed up, body aches, slight sore throat, headaches.  That lasted for a couple of days, and then the cough came.  I have been sick for 4 weeks now - 3 of those with this cough.  Same as you, it started dry and then progressed to bringing up phlegm.  The phlegm is yellowish-green.  I went to see my doctor about 2 weeks ago.  He gave me an anti-biotic for a sinus infection (which is what almost everyone I know is being diagnosed with).  Needless to say, I have finished my 10 day track of anti-biotics and I am still coughing!  Guess that wasn't the right diagnosis.
Anyways, just watch out for Pneumonia.  I know 3 people that started with these symptoms and now have Pneumonia.
The only thing that helps my cough is running a Humidifier at night, along with a Vicks vaporizer.  I don't cough at all during the night.
But be ready to cough again as soon as you get up!
Hope yours doesn't last as long as mine.
I'll probably go to the doctor soon, but I don't want to bother a doctor if its just a basic cold that will go away in time.

I really don't have alot of phlem, It is yellowish green, I don't really feel stuffed up, I may have stuffy nose in the morning but after that it goes away. Its just that annoying dry cough that doesn't seem to have any purpose

I will try this vicks vapor at night