Cold & Flu Community
Cough produces pain in groin area

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Cough produces pain in groin area

I have a question related to coughing.  Sometimes when I cough I will have severe pain under my left testicle in a very specific area, it is always in the same place, it will be like the nerve tightening and then won't release unless I stand up or more to another position. It almost feels as if it is pushing outwards.  Normally there is no problem if I am not sick and not coughing.

Any clues as to what this might be?
pain under the testicle would be uncommon with cough.  sometimes the intrabdominal pressure increases with coughing or straining which can worsen the pain of a hernia but that's typically higher in the groin.

a hernia isn't dangerous unless it twists on itself, called incarcerated, and this is a surgical emergency, noted by nausea & vomiting
Dear Dr. Choi,

Thank you for your reply.

My pain is usually induced by coughing, otherwise I rarely have any issues. It also seems to occur more when I cross my legs when I sit and then cough.  I would say the area of pain is more close to the anus, under the testees.  I had an ultra sound and CT scan down on this area about 10 years ago as I had some similar issues, both produced a clear picture of nothing wrong.  The only they fould were a few calcium deposits on my prostate, I was 22 years old at the time.

A hernia would be located above the penis correct? I have no pain or bumps or masses anywhere in the region.
yes, a hernia is well above the penis

pain in the perineum between the anus and testes is concerning for prostate issues.  i'd have that checked again, via a rectal exam pressing on the prostate
A rectal exam, that doesnt' sound like too much fun...  What sort of doctor does this? A proctologist or urologist right?  Would you mind typing in the tradtiional Chinese characters for the type of doctor I would need to see? It would be helpful when I look through the schedules or go to the hospital to make the appointment.  

Wouldn't have that CT scan or ultra sound been able to find something years ago though?  I felt around the area again and do feel the left side is bigger than the right, there does seem to be a mass there, but again I had this same thing 10 years ago and they found nothing.

Thanks!
family docs and internal medicine docs do it too.

sorry, don't know the traditional chinese characters, even though i'm chinese, i'm abc.

no, ct or ultrasound isn't necessary unless they feel something on exam.

what do you mean they found nothing?  did they do a biopsy?
Dr. Choi, thank you for the reply.

I thought maybe you were abc but was hoping you had learned Chinese. It's ok, I will ask around, in Taiwan there really are no such things as family doctors. Everyone goes to hospitals. I will check the internal medicine list.

The contrast CT scan and ultrasound tests I had did not produce any pictures or anything othe then calcium deposits on the prostate which they said at the time were not too concerning. My urologist said they can cut me open and look, but he said said based on the two tests we can't find anything. So I left it at that.

The mass is not always present, I just checked now and it's gone, if I start coughing again it may reappear, could it be muscle strain?

I was hoping to delay my first prostate exam until I was 35, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.   It's just odd I only feel something odd when I cough now...  
And no they never did a biopsy.
it's worth getting examined, and cough when you're examined so you can show the urologist what the bump is.
Quote:  The mass is not always present, I just checked now and it's gone, if I start coughing again it may reappear, could it be muscle strain?

I'm not an expert, but you could have a varicose vein that is bulging from pressure exerted upon it by muscles. When you cough, it could be made palpable.

Just a thought.

Hope you figure it out.
I am experiencing a constant pain that began around my groin and would  hurt a little more if I twisted  or strained it. My job involves pushing and pulling 1250 lb. Carts of milk that are on wheels so once they get going it isn't hard at all. Now I took a day off to rest when I woke up it spread to my pubic area and my left side a little bit. Hurts bad when I cough no bump any where that I can feel or see. I had a hernia on my left side when I was nine years old so I'm hoping its not that.
this is strange. i heard it for the first time.