Cough that Won't stop
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I started to have this cough. It seemed to be worse at night while I was laying in bed. My dad suggested that I might have mold in my house, so I went to stay with a friend, that didn't help any. I haven't felt sick AT ALL!! Other than a sore throat, from coughing so much. I have been taking an off brand cough medicine that has dextromethorphan in it, and the cough isn't going away. However, it wasn't getting any worse until this weekend. It was staying about  the same, then all the sudden Friday it was like I hit a brick wall! It's gotten worse and worse all weekend and yesterday, all though I didn't feel sick to my stomach, I thought I was going to vomit several times from coughing so violently. This morning I feel like I have 100 pound weight on my chest and it hurst to even breath, and the cough is still here. I've called my doc, but I can't get in for over a week. Help?!
I have had a constant cough for a few months on end (interrupted even short sentences) and ended up in hospital for adult-onset asthma but x-rays did not show anything on my lungs.  Then I dropped wheat and gluten products from my diet and cough stopped in less than a week's time.  Apparently my relatively mild gluten intolerance has just had enough and all of a sudden exploded into these symptoms.  I now eat strictly gluten-free, but if I cheat for two days, the cough returns on the third.  Therefore:  allergy for some external factor may be a reason.
I have the same thing from time to time. Is it a deep cough? If so, it might be bronchitis.. I've had bronchitis at least eight times in the past yr and a half and have never felt bad. You could also be developing a case of asthma. I had a troublesome cough that didn't go away, went to the doctor and they told me I had it.
Long term coughing with no other symptoms could be a sign of pneumonia. Though pneumonia often has other symptoms, its not uncommon to have only a cough.  I would recommend going to a doctor or urgent care to get antibacterial medicine if that is the case. Pneumonia is not something to treat likely. Of course it is also possible you just have some sort of virus, but since its been a month now I think its to the point of getting it checked.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001200/