Cold & Flu Community
Flu, twice in 2 months
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Flu, twice in 2 months

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I had a flu two months ago, when we moved to a new (and pretty cold and windy) city. We recovered normally with some paracetamol. Hers was much more mild, I had a cough for a few weeks.

Now, two months later, we went to an amusement park, getting totally exhausted and caught a lot of rain as well. I insisted in an open window at night, and then  now she has flu symptoms again.

Is it normal to have a cold/flu twice in this two-month period? We are a 30y.o. couple, 3 years living together, with no prior conditions or diseases. I write because I am a bit hypochondriac and I would feel better with some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
Vitamin D is now the most requested lab test over all other lab test. And for good reason (see list below!).  I had this test done when i heard of the increased risk of cancer and found i had severe vitamin D deficiency. This explained why i had bronchitis (3 weeks), strep throat twice (1 month and over 2 weeks) and a cold (1 week) in less than 6 months. I had bone pain in my hand which i thought was arthritis but was due to vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D council recommend 50 - 80ng/mL (125 - 200nmol/L) year round.  

Excerpts from the article "How Vitamin D Protects You from the Flu and Other Infections"...

"A new study has confirmed that vitamin D plays an important role in activating your immune defenses against infectious diseases like the flu.
Vitamin D deficiency has already been linked to a wide spectrum of diseases including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, depression, autoimmune disease and many others.

The new study discovers that activation of T-cells to fight infections needs definite help from vitamin D. When a T cell recognizes foreign invaders like bacteria or viruses, it sends activating signals to the vitamin D receptor gene. The VDR gene then starts producing DVR protein, which binds vitamin D in the T cell. Then the vitamin D bound and activated DVR produces PLC-gamma1 protein — which allows the T cell to get started fighting the infection.

Dr. John Cannell has also reported that vitamin D helps produce antibacterial peptides that help protect against the flu. That is why in winter, when there is little sunshine, people are more prone to vitamin D deficiency and getting infected with flu viruses."

"Just take a look at this list of common chronic diseases that researchers have linked to vitamin D deficiency:

Cancer
Hypertension
Heart disease
Autism
Obesity
Rheumatoid arthritis
Diabetes 1 and 2
Multiple Sclerosis
Crohn’s disease
Cold & Flu
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Tuberculosis
Septicemia
Signs of aging
Dementia
Eczema & Psoriasis
Insomnia
Hearing loss
Muscle pain
Cavities
Periodontal disease
Osteoporosis
Macular degeneration
Reduced C-section risk
Pre-eclampsia
Seizures
Infertility
Asthma
Cystic fibrosis
Migraines
Depression
Alzheimer’s disease
Schizophrenia

And as if that wasn’t enough, a 2008 meta-analysis of 18 randomized controlled trials concluded that supplemental vitamin D significantly reduces mortality from ALL causes!"
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
Actually, the article is from Sunlightenment: "Vitamin D Deficiency is Why You Get Flu!"
Blank
Moving to a new city is a stressful event that can dampen the immune system, making one more vulnerable to colds/flu.  Taking good care of yourself along with Vitamin D (as Red_Star eloquently describes) and Vitamin C supplements should help your system recover.
Blank
Wow thank you! We might want to check that. We're in Finland, where sunshine is less abundant, so it might have such a connection indeed.
Thank you for such elaborated replies!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cold & Flu Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank