Cold & Flu Community
Group F Strep

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Group F Strep

I was recently diagnosed with group F strep.  It started with a few sinus infections and 2 rounds of antibiotics, but after not feeling any better, my doctor did a throat culture and found this. I can't find much on line about it and am looking for answers.  Is it rare? Dangerous?  How is it spread?  Is it highly contagious?  It has survived 2 rounds of Levoquin already and I am now on a different antibiotic.  Should I be concerned?
I think they started giving LETTERS to the types of strep infection when antibiotics were given out so much that they started not to work.  Strep is strep and yes it can be serious without treatment but you went to a doctor who is trying to get it under control so I think you will be okay.  They sometimes have to use different antibiotics because different strains of strep are popping up.  If you doctor puts you in the hospital then you have to get concerned but obviously he didn't think you were that bad or you would have been put in isolation.