Cold & Flu Community
Hiccups when having a cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Hiccups when having a cold

Since recently I've discovered that whenever I catch a cold, for a period I also suffer from non-stop hiccups. Generally this lasts about 2 days, the hiccups themselves stop for short periods (1/2 hr or so) every now and then (maybe 4-5 times a day), but start up again. Unlike any hiccups which occur when I don't have a cold, these ones cannot be stopped by the usual means (eg: drinking water, concentrating and relaxing).

This has been a regular occurrence over the last year (during which I caught cold about 4 times), and while I've read that hiccups can be caused by irritation to the diaphragm, I haven't heard or read about anyone who consistently suffers from hiccups when having a cold. Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding this?
Tags: hiccups, Cold
Never heard of that, have you told your doctor?

Kalie
Hi, I too started having this isuue from this week. I had cold flu a week ago aswell. But i dint had hickups. This week i again started having mild cold and soar throat. I started having hickups now and then for long period ( 2-3 Hrs). I tried all ways to stop it by holding breath, by drinking water, etc.. but no way i could. It stops automatically at one stage. Pls help what this could be. as i could see you also having the same.
I have never talked to a doctor about this, but I share your predicament.  Hiccups for DAYS, and like you stopping maybe 4 or 5 times a day for 1/2 hour.  Eating will generally cause them to cease, but only for the subsquent 30 minutes.  And during times when I'm healthy with no cold I never have any hiccup issues.  Extremely aggravating.  I'm 45 and have followed this pattern for about 15 years.  So glad to hear I'm not the lone human on the planet with this issue, but maybe still there are only a handful of us.  I do worry this is a sign we are more susceptible to a future neurological disorder.
I was just searching the web for whether there's any known link between hiccups and a cold. The sure-fire way I know that I'm getting a cold (as opposed to just allergies), is that in the early days of having a cold, I get these persistent, painful hiccups that are really hard to stop with the usual methods. It's a clinically undocumented anomaly, apparently, that some of us get hiccups when we have a cold. Go figure!
I have the same thing,about the 3rd day of it now.
I have the cold with hiccups: very annoying. I found a way to stop them for hours at a time. In all seriousness, a good orgasm will get your diaphragm to relax so you can get some sleep. At least, it works for this guy.
Hi , I have the same issue. Whenever i have cold , especially chest cold i get non stop hickups. No amount of drinking water, holding breath, or anything wont work. I just have to wait for the cold to get better for this to stop. When searching on this topic i was wondering if this is common and dose not seem so.. but now i know there are others as well suffering from the same senario. Any suggestions on this would be of great releif.
Recently my father had a persistent chest cold. I noticed too that whenever he was sick he would start to hiccup. This time it was so terrible it went on for about two weeks. He almost couldnt work. When he was absolutely fed up I took him to the emergency room where they have a strong nerve antagonist, it worked for a little and  right before he as discharged it came back. They then have him a strong sedative which worked for a few days but they still came back. Now he has another cold and the hiccups have returned. I would love to know what this is about and what can be done.
I too had the same experience today. I am 31 & suffering from flu from past 3-4 days. Yesterday night after having my dinner I startedhaving hiccups and it was just unstoppable by ordinary means. This was my first experience of such hiccups and it was so irritating and tiring. It somehow stopped after an hour or two and luckily I felt asleep but today afternoon after having light lunch it was even worse. Hiccups were more paining and almost pulled deep nerves near my diapharm. It was then when I started searching net for some quick relief and I found one that worked for me. Its and Indian yoga/Ayurveda remedy that worked after searching desperately for an hour. Here how I did : Sit straight with knees fold in normal relaxing position. Now just hold your all fingertips half inch below the nipple with half inch gaap in each figertip giving accupresure by pressing hard . Place finger tips one below the other piercing diaphargm in vertical direction....now start taking deep breaths...inhale exhale & keep repeating it for few minutes .it did worked for me so thought to share here coz I know how tiring and irritating it is. Being and Indian I hardly used to do any breathing or yoga exercises due to fast busy life , but today I understand that remedy for almost every disease is linked with breathing ....deep breathing and meditation can definately change our lifestyle....
fingertips half inch below the nipple with half inch gaap in each figertip giving accupresure by pressing hard . Place finger tips one below the other piercing diaphargm in vertical direction....now start taking deep breaths...inhale exhale & keep repeating it for few minutes .it did worked for me so thought to share here coz I know how tiring and irritating it is. Being and Indian I hardly used to do any breathing or yoga exercises due to fast busy life , but
I have the same and I know it is because of my hiatus hernia which effects your diaphragm and gives you problems with acid reflux. Wondering if anyone else has this problem of hiccups has been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia?? A simple colonoscopy would determine if you have one or not. It's nothing serious but I believe the tear of weakness in the diaphragm it's what is causing the irritation when we have a cold and subsequently leading to hiccups.