Hives after the Flu Vaccination
My son is 6 months of age and recently got his first of two flu vaccinations. A day or two after the shot he started to break out in hives. Everytime he got hot, cried, anything seemed to set them off. Now, he has never been the least bit sick, no fevers or anything.  I called the dr. and they said to try to trace it back to the source. My husband and I thought about food that might have changed or new soaps, but the only thing we came up with was the flu shot he had received. My question is: First, do you think it's from that or are we over reacting? Second, if it could be from that, should he get his second shot?
i cant say dont get him his shots again.  but you are sure its not anything.  like my daughter use to love red juice and now she cant have it.  some kids do have bad reactions to shots..  my nephew broke out in hives from the shot.  and the flu shot can also give you the flu just not as bad.  i would say watch him closely for the next couple of days.  if it really bothers him the hives i mean give him benedryl or anti itch cream, a warm cloth even dont rub cloth pat it.  my daughter has seizure and gets the hives from time to time and that is what the hospital and doctors say to do.  and it really seems to help.  
Honestly, I don't know. It might be something he ate, but we have not changed his diet. hmmm, I will do some more investigating. Thank you for your quick response.
it's not common but it's been reported in the literature that people can get an allergic urticarial (hives) rash from the influenza vaccine.  

From the 1st time ever being exposed, it's most likely from an egg allergy since trace amounts of egg protein are in the flu shot since it's incubated in eggs.

From the 2nd time being exposed it could be from antibodies developed against the shot from the 1st time (this is not the case for your son)

Egg and other food allergies are not common in children as young as 6 months.

Ask your doctor.
We seem to be having a similar scenario and it has continued for the last 3 months. Do you have any updates?

My 5 year old got his first flu vaccine in November. Since the day he got it, any exposure to serious cold will give him hives. Initially, it would be large splotches all over his body. Three months later, it has gotten a little better but he still gets small red splotches on his face or hands.

At the moment, the trigger seems to be cold temperatures.He went cycling in sunny 45 degree weather and came back with hives.

No food allergies at all. He can eat eggs galore and not have any reaction.

We, and our pediatrician, have yet to sort out what it is or why. Our pediatrician does not believe that the flu shot had anything to do with it and recommends a set of allergy tests.

He went on vacation to a warmer climate for 2 months and had no reactions. It might have been that there is something in our house that, in combination with the cold, that causes the reaction but we do not know what yet.
This is very interseting...  I gave my 19month old the flu vacine two days ago and he broke out in hives as well.  The immunisation clinic said there was no reason the flu vacine should have done it as I have never noticed any reaction to eggs in him.
This seems a little more than a coincidence!
Again, I am hesitant to give the second shot.
Joining the conversation late... our 17-month old son broke out in hives a few hours after his 2nd flu shot, and it came daily for 10 days or so. He had never had any rash/hives before that. Now, 2 weeks later, we notice a few rash marks now and then. We have seen no reaction to eggs, and we don't believe anything new was introduced into his environment. At least the rashes don't seem to bother him. Probably something in the flu shot... Anyone else have a similar experience?

I had a influenza vaccine 18 days ago and half our later my throat started to ger tight but i was breathing normal and was swallowing normal. No swelling either, no hives, no rash no itching. By tge time I was heading to ER itvwentvaway. I called my doctor and my doctor didn't believe that  i had an allergic reaction and told me that i must have had an anxiety attack and to take Xanax ( i have panic disorder) i took xanax and my throat stabilized  completely in half hour  Anyway 8 days after i felt  like a thumb was oushing on my throat.like choking.  Doctor said it is reflux , it went away after i took antacid  in two days . Two weeks after, i started to get very little like pimples but only two or three of them at my back and they are itchy. They go away though but then they pop up at different part if my  back or abdomen area of my body when I go out to cold weather. And they go away in half an hour when i gominside. I never had a reaction to cold or food or any flu vaccine before. But since I got this flu vaccinevthis year in Jan 10  i had all these problems! It is the vaccine. Never again! Made an appointment to an alergist immunologist  with in 4 weeks. I need to get tested to find out what in that vaccine is causing all this!!!
Some people are allergic to the flu vaccines.  Like Enoch Choi, MD says, the vaccine contains traces of egg and that is the cause of the allergy.

When I have had the vaccine in the past, I have always been asked if I have an allergy to eggs.  I am asthmatic so get offered the vaccine every year.  I refuse to have it now because they add the swine flu vaccine in it as well.  My mother has stopped having the vaccine too as every time she had the vaccine she would feel very ill with flu-like symptoms. She is over 80 and diabetic.

The flu vaccine does not contain live strains of the virus, and is not effective against all flu viruses.  Therefore, even if you have the vaccine, you still may get flu from a different strain.

If your son has not had egg in his diet before, then there is a possibility that he is allergic to the vaccine.