Cold & Flu Community
Hives after vaccine

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Hives after vaccine

My 5 yr old son received his 5yr old booster which was his Di[htheria, tetanus, pertussis & polio. A day after the shot his arm swelled up and was very red and hot. I took him to the walk-in and the Dr. said it was a reation to the shot and that was about it.  However, about 8 weeks went by and at bedtime I noticed a large quarter sized hive in the area where he received his needle.  I gave him some benadryla nd it went away.  Aweek later he has been having 1 or 2 hives in the same area no where else on his body. I just not sure what to do or if its a reaction from his needle?
You ask an excellent question. One of the things to do (which your physician probably didn't do) was to note the serial number of the vial (probably a multiple dose vial) of vaccine and file an adverse reaction form with the FDA. Immediately ask if he did so and request a copy of the report. Ask him for the serial number of the vial. His failure to file this report is serious and warrants a complaint to the State Medical Board. Usually these problems come from impurities in the vaccine, and the FDA should have been notified immediately. Go to the FDA site to find the form. The chances are these problems will eventually go away. Your use of benadryl was appropriate. If the problem continues for another few days see an allergist (not the same physician).
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it!