How widespread is a 4 week (or more) flu
The situation in and near Rochester NY concerns at least dozens of people in different families who have had flu symptoms for more than 4 weeks. Although other students in my son's high school have a short lived flu, my son, daughter ,wife and I have had it for more than 4 weeks.  The school where my wife teaches has several people out for a long time - she has managed to miss only 3 days, but that is because the worst of it was during the Christmas break. We were sick enough that we didn't put up the tree until Dec 30 and opened presents on the 31st.
I verified that Carbon Monoxide isn't to blame with the purchase of a second detector that has a readout showing zero. Gag vomiting from profuse flem nearly every day for most of us. I'm 55 and I have thrown up more than the rest of my post adolescent life.
I've lost 25 pounds - this is not the way I wanted to loose weight. Saw a doctor - he said we were having one flu type after another. Negative for strep for my wife and I. My son's doctor prescribed an antibiotic for him though.
My wife had the flu shot a week before she became ill.

I'm wondering how wide spread this is and when it will end.
It is possible the flu-types are back-to-back. However, there may be other compromises of your system that will need further testing. Bacterial infections last longer than the typical 10-days for a flue. Of course, your age indicates you may be becomming less immune to such infections. Sorry to hear that flu-strains are becomming so virulent and confusing. It's time we take a stronger position on the treatment of such ailments.
I have had a similar virus now for 3 weeks.  More plegm than I have ever had in my life and the coughing and gagging is just awful.   I haven't been able to barely eat for 3 weeks.   It started off right away with this tickling and gagging/retching in the throat.  After that the nose also filled up and then the bronchitis started.  No infection.  All the masses of it are clear.    After 3 weeks I am still having coughing jags and just don't feel good.   We also missed Christmas here.   I finally had a gathering on Jan 1 for Christmas but felt just awful and couldn't enjoy it.   The viruses seem to keep getting worse and worse.  I had this same virus at the end of August but it wasn't quite as bad but just about.  I really wonder what its all about.   I have been on this planet over 50 years and have never seen anything like it.
It's not influenza if it's been a month.  Influenza is miserable for 7-10 days and gets better.  This is more likely back-to-back viral upper respiratory infections that are passed back and forth in your community.  

It's worth going back to your doctor if you've lost 25 pounds.  A stronger cough suppressant to stop the gagging could help you keep things down a lot.  Such as hycodan or codiene or other strong suppressant.
We are gradually getting better, except for my 18 year old daughter who is in the worst of it right now. I can now work for about 8 hours max a day and am sleepy the rest of the time. Phlegm is clear. When I was at the doctors he listened to my wife and my breathing and determined that the lungs were not involved in a major way. In fact as with others with this long lasting virus the nasal passage is unusually completely clear with a heightened sense of smell for the first week. A few weeks later and the nose congestion is more like a very mild cold. But the aches and pains and fatigue are like a flu. The Phlegm  seems to come entirely from the Submaxillary or sublingual saliva glands that are very sore and swollen. In my case this is diminishing with gag vomit "only" occurring every couple days. If this continues next week I'll ask my doctor for a cough suppressant - My throat has not ever felt sore during this time and I only fell a need to cough a few times a day, most likely bringing up phlegm and sometimes gaging to the point of bringing up stomach contents. I'm doing that more than the others and this is a first in my life for gag vomiting, as other times I've had a normal 4 day flu I might be the only one I know who doesn't vomit or only vomits once as in the past I have to get so sick as to collapsed on the floor seeing yellow before I can vomit.
I'm glad you're only gag vomiting much less, but even every couple days really sucks.  At least i hope you're not losing any more weight.

if it's not getting better i'd go get seen.