Cold & Flu Community
I want your opinion.?? Flu shot or no?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

I want your opinion.?? Flu shot or no?

My baby Dr. wants me to get the flu shot. I am suppose to have my baby in February, which for Oklahoma last year we had that big snow storm an got like 20inches or 4 ft of snow. Idk i can't remember. Ive never had it and i dont want it but im still considering whether i should or shouldnt take it. My dad took this shot when i was lil an got real sick from it the hospital told him if he hadn't of come in when he did he would have died. I dont remember him being allergic to eggs an im not either. My house is real small with thin walls an last winter was rough on us we had 3 pipes bust. I dont get sick easily an Ive never had the flu. I did get pneumonia last year. This would be my second time getting it. The only reason im considering it is because of the baby. Should i get the shot? Or would it be any different if i just took my chances?
you should get it, i get it in it keeps me from being sick alot
The shot isn't so much for you as it is for the baby. You could have almost no symptoms and still pass on a full blown flu to your new born, which is what your doctor is worried about. You are a healthy individual with a good immune system but that doesn't necessarily mean your newborn will be. And babies are much more susceptible to things like the flu, which could also weaken their immune system so they get added infections like RSV (which peaks in February and hospitalized 3 of my nieces). However, because of the type the flu virus is, its possible you could still get a different strand of flu and the vaccine wouldn't protect against it. (That is why there is a new vaccine every year, because the virus changes.) Also because you're pregnant there might be risk factors. I'm sure your doctor already knows about these and just believes it's more likely your baby will be harmed from the flu than from the vaccine, but you should be aware of them as well.

I would strongly recommend looking at the CDC website for the potential side effects of the flu vaccine and weigh up the chances of getting them versus your child getting sick. Personally, the only time I have ever considered or gotten the flu shot is when my grandma was going through chemotherapy and I was living with her. My mother, however, works in a clinic and gets them every single year. For both of us, it wasn't about protecting ourselves as much as protecting others.
Thank you so much!