Cold & Flu Community
Mucus in my throat and sometimes red on stotum

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Hi everyone my name is Dalton. I'm a 13 year old turning 14 on December 2.  I live in Plain City, Utah.  My problem is I have mucus in my throat and me and my family have been wondering how I can get rid of it.  Also there is like red veins and sometimes they turn dark red and i'm wondering what is that

Thank you
Dalton
A temporary solution would be to buy some Mucinex, or anything containing Guaifenesin,  There is a product at Walgreens called Mucus Relief Plus
which contains guaifenesin, acetaminophen, and phenylephrine.

Overall, this sounds like rhinitis, but I would get it checked by a doctor.

Other items to consider as only possibilities:  

1. Thyroid  - Sometimes people with thyroid problems may feel, what they think is mucus, (and it could be...extra mucus building up to protect the gland)

2. Acid/Indigestion issues:  some people have overactive acid production, that can, in some people, travel up near the throat, and it feels like mucus, but it is not.  Consider this as well.
Hi Dalton,I'm wondering what you mean by red veins. Where are they,in your sputum or mucous? My son is 35 and last year he was coughing up green mucous with blood in it. He was diagnosed with pneumonia. I would definitely call a Dr. or go to an urgent care or the emergency room. Some pneumonias are viral and some are bacterial and some can be contagious. Do any of your friends or family have the same problem as you? They can culture your sputum and tell if it is viral or bacterial- you need to know before you take any medicine because antibiotics only work on bacteria, not viruses. If you are not running a fever it might just be dry air but you really need to see a Dr. It could also be drainage from a sinus infection. Hope you find out what is going on and feel better soon.
unles your smoking id suggest going to a doctor