Pain in groin area
I am a 55 year okld female who was recently diagnosed with URI.  The coughing is severe.  Today I noticed when I cough I hace a pain in the right groin area.  Did I possibly strain a muscle.?  I did not have this pain prior to this illness.
Sorry to hear you are unwell with an upper respiratory infection.
It is possible that you have strained muscles from coughing severely.
Have you been prescribed with an antibiotic?
Are you taking anything to help to relieve the severe coughing? Coughing is the body's mechanism to get rid of irritants whatever they be.

Hot lemon and honey drink may help to soothe your cough.  Or a hot Ribena.  

Are you having any problems with going to urinate, like burning or stinging when you pass the urine?  Groin pain can be from arthritis in the hips, as well as urinary problems, appendicitis (right groin pain), but as you have been coughing really badly then possible putting a strain on the muscles.

Should you start to feel nausea and/or vomitting with or without diarhea and with a fever with the right groin pain, then go to the emergency room to rule out possibility of appendicitis.  

In the meantime drink plenty of warm fluids (avoid milk products as these can add to mucus production) and keep warm.  If the doctor has not prescribed antibiotics then he obviously is of the opinion that it is a viral inefection.  Steam inhalations, rubbing Vick on your chest, throat lozenges to soothe your throat and pain relief should you need it will help.

With the severe coughing you will probably feel sore is if you are bruised around the torso.  This will be as a result of straining your muscles from coughing.  Just like when you have done a lot of exercise.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Best wishes