Cold & Flu Community
Persistent head congestion with mild other symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

My sinuses simply won't stay uncongested, although my other symptoms come and go. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome... I've tried to provide as many details as possible.

Weds - A few days after I got back from out of town, I went running -- well bundled up, I didn't feel ill or cold at all during the run. Later that night I began coming down with cold/flu symptoms: sinus congestion, slight headache, fever, aches. I thought it was from running in the cold, but took cold/flu medicine with tylenol and phenylephrine, used an oxymetazoline nasal spray, drank a lot of orange juice, and went to bed. (this was also the last day of my period, although I don't know if that means anything) I'd been eating and sleeping well before this and had a one-day cold or virus in early December which disappeared within a day.

Thurs morning /afternoon - The fever went up to 102.3F overnight. After sleeping more, the fever disappeared but the congestion got worse. I kept hydrating and ate a regular meal with lots of broccoli and carrots. I found a neti pot and used warm purified water and saline solution to clear out my sinuses twice during the day, which helped me sleep overnight. Stopped using the oxymetazolin spray because it tends to cause a lot of pain just below my ear.

Friday - The fever disappeared completely, but the congestion got worse. The neti pot didn't help much at all. I got phenylephrine nasal drops, which cleared up my congestion, and took congestion/cold medicine (tylenol, guaifenesin, phenylephrine), and got a bit of sleep.

Saturday - I woke up breathing out of my mouth with a slightly sore throat and had trouble sleeping the rest of the day - I got back to sleep after another drop of the new nasal spray but I know I'm not supposed to overuse it. The congestion is even worse - the neti pot this time did almost nothing. I had to go out for some urgent errands (food and medicine among other things)  and came back to realize I had a slight fever again, which has been increasing slowly all night (from .5 degrees to now 2 degrees). The aches started returning although I'd had carrots, bananas, orange juice (with a regular meal - no dairy). The back of my neck and my shoulders are a bit sore - but my neck isn't stiff yet. My lymph nodes (in the neck) are swollen - they hadn't really been before. My nose is runny while my sinuses are congested. My chest doesn't seem very congested, though - I have a dry cough from a dry throat which I"m trying to keep well moisturized while I drink orange juice and water.

I've been taking off completely from work - no outdoor excursions except a brief one - and I'm avoiding other people, bundling up warmly, taking 2 hot showers a day (drying my hair or not getting it wet, so I stay warm), and trying to sleep as much as possible. Normally with these symptoms I'm only out of it for a day, so I'm worried it could be something other than a normal cold/flu. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will probably call a nurse in the morning if nothing is better... for now, I'm off to hydrate and try to get some sleep. Thanks for your help.
i have the same thing since last week. Have been taking erythromycin since friday and still feel bad. I heard it can take 2 weeks to get over. I don't think it's the flu. Have taken mucinex and drinking a lot of water. Hope it leaves soon, tired of it