Cold & Flu Community
Productive cough, congestion, no fever.

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Productive cough, congestion, no fever.

11201529?1411536483
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the symptoms I have been having. I have had a very productive cough for the past 2 weeks or so accompanied by equally productive nasal congestion. The stuff I am coughing up is relatively clear, some being a very pale yellow. Relatively clear lung sounds upon inspiration, but wheezing on end of expiration. I went to the doctor yesterday and I would simply like a second opinion, specifically on the radiologist's findings.

A bit of history: 190lb male, 29 years of age, 1ppd smoker for about 14 years (yeah i know...shame on me) I do not exercise; however, my job requires me to be on my feet the majority of the time while lifting and/or pulling up to 70lbs. I easily get 8-9K steps in during my workdays.

I am a bit concerned about my heart and lungs. I have tried quitting smoking seriously about 7 times now, unsuccessfully. I have attached a few chest xray photographs I took with my phone during my recent visit to the doc. Please let me know what you think.

Let me know if I can provide any further information.
I have more more views of this x-ray. If need be I can upload them. They are basically close ups of each area of the lung
Here is a close up pic of the upper part of the lungs: http://i59.tinypic.com/szbs0i.jpg

And a close up of the lower part: http://i62.tinypic.com/2wcpr84.jpg

I really appreciate any input. Thank you!
I don't know how to read x-rays unfortunately.  Hopefully a nurse or doctor will run across this though.  I am 55 years old, just quit smoking and my hubby just survived lung cancer (he is now cancer free).

First off, you are not going to have organ failure in your sleep.  How can I say that?  Well, my husband has had a liver transplant.....our bodies generally give us a ton of warning signs before an organ decides to take a nosedive on us.  I suspect you have a ton of anxiety right now which will not help you at all.

The fact that your chest production is clear or light yellow is good...generally speaking.  The first thing I would try to figure out is if you have developed some kind of allergy (and yes, you may not have had hay fever 15 years ago but you might have it now).  If you do not have an allergy then I would make an appointment to see a pulmonary doctor.  Normal x-rays will not show lung cancer most of the time.  The docs need to use different types of machines, etc in order to see those itty bitty cells (I learned that from hubby).  He had coughing, wheezing at night, sent him to urgent care, they said he had pneumonia, he did great until he was off the antibiotics...then he got sick again...this time with soreness in his upper chest and right arm.

I think you are getting warning signs but of what I'm not sure.  It could be fairly simple (like an allergy) or it could be lung cancer.  Because of your history skip the online forums...you need to be seen in order to figure out what is going on.  Set up the appointment with the pulmonary doctor first...make sure the worst isn't going on (I don't think the worst is going on but I can't swear to it and the anxiety of worrying about it is going to kill you before anything else does).  The pulmonary doc will be able to find out if it is cancer, if you have developed chronic bronchitis, if you have an allergy, etc etc.

Good luck to you and I will make sure you are in my prayers!
I didn't finish off my story about hubby's soreness in chest.  Anyway, the 2nd time I sent him to the emergency room.  He had all sorts of weird symptoms like you have had so they checked for asthma, sleep apnea, allergies and finally did a CT Scan with Contrast and a Pet Scan...that is when they found out he has asthma, he has sleep apnea AND he had lung cancer.  The right specialist found the answers.  Just so you know...don't freak out over this.  My hubby is a rare case...even his surgeons said that.  99.9% of the time a patient doesn't have all of those things wrong.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad your husband won his battle with cancer. I can imagine how frightening that must have been. I lost my father to a very rare cancer - angiosarcoma.

I actually work in health care, and the symptoms I am experiencing are presenting in at least 3 other co-workers - all non-smokers.

I'm not overly worried about it. I am simply curious if someone can give me any information regarding my cardiothoracic ratio - is it within normal limits? What are the white opacifications around my heart and mainstem bronchi? My best guess is sputum, collecting in the lower respiratory tract. My lungs are having a hard time expelling it due to the cilia-paralyzing effect of 14 years of smoking tobacco. As far as masses, I am not entirely sure. None of the opacifications seem to have clear defined borders, but I am no radiologist so again, I'd really appreciate a MD opinion on this.

Thanks again :-)