Cold & Flu Community
Putting a stop to phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Putting a stop to phlegm

I am a 22 year old who gets a cold about once a year, and I find that I am good at putting a stop to my cold, having it last only a few days before the end of it comes about.

However, my least favorite part of the recovery process is all the phlegm I am producing, which requires me to cough it up in the most nauseating way so frequently. I learned about Phlegm, what it does and why, as well as what certain drugs do, such as expectorants.

Expectorants, though, make it easier to dislodge the phlegm, and that's not exactly what I am looking for.

I aim to get my body to stop producing phlegm as soon as possible. How can I do this? I've been conserving my voice, and coughing as little as possible only to cough of phlegm to avoid irritating my larynx. But what more can be done to end this sooner?

Thanks!
Peroxide is known as an "oral debriding agent" because it helps to clear the mouth of mucous. You may be having irritation to your larynx because of the phlegm you feel at the back of your mouth. Swish around some peroxide and spit it out. It will fizz a little, and feel bubbly, so expect this. That's the oxygen being released. Spit it out and the residue that's left behind. Wash your mouth with some water afterwards if you don't like the taste.

As far as getting phlegm out of your lungs completely, your lungs have to stop producing it.
I have the same problem whenever I have phlegm. It's so difficult to get rid off. Even if I stop coughing I can feel the phlegm still existing inside my throat.