Cold & Flu Community
Should I Get My Tonsils Removed?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Should I Get My Tonsils Removed?

I've had strep throat before during sophomore year...I got rid of it by antibiotics and I got a cold senior year and only one of my tonsils got swollen and again I got antibiotics to get rid of it. Now I graduated 2012 and I have a cold and again one of tonsils are swollen. My aunt suggests I should get them removed but idk. I have a runny, stuffy nose and coughs.
I was the same although younger than you I was always sick with tonsilitis in the end they took them out and really my health improved immediately ...what does your Doctor think ?
I went to the Doctor today and this was my first time seeing this doctor. He gave me antibiotics and some liquid medicine called prednisolone for the swelling of the tonsil. I told him that this is the third time my tonsil got like this and he askes "Third time in one year?" I said no and he said "Well if it was three times in one year the insurance would give you a percent off the surgery." But he didnt recommend it, i should of asked if he does. /:
They swell from inflammation from the cold or virus you get. It is normal. You only get your tonsils removed if you have strep several times in a year.
Personally I would not recommend having your tonsils removed unless they are diseased.  Tonsils are the body's first line of defence against bugs.

When my son was in his 20s he had what is called "the kissing disease" he was extremely ill with white plaques on his tonsils.  He did not have them removed and eventually recovered.

My daughter on the otherhand at the age of 18 kept getting tonsillitis every few months.  This was a difficult time for her as she was studying full-time at college.  The specialist examined her and said that she needed to have them removed because they were constantly swollen.

If your tonsils are otherwise healthy, I would leave them alone.
I am 61 and still have mine and have suffered with tonsillitis (made me ill and dizzy) over the years.  

In my opinion having painful tonsils 3 times during the coure of one year, would not warrant them to be removed.

Best wishes