Cold & Flu Community
Sore Throat after Sinus Infection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Sore Throat after Sinus Infection?

I visited my boyfriend in Paris and he had a bad cough that would wake him up at night.  But he didn't seem sick at all.  So 6 days after being with him I got a sore throat, which turned into a sinus infection).  After doing sinus irrigations, drinking a lot of hot water with apple cider vinger, and eating well for 2 weeks - I seem to be better; however, my throat is now hurting again (it never seemed to go away completely, but mostly).  I do not have a fever, I do not have tonsils, and I don't really see any "white spots" or signs of strep.  But the back of my throat is all bumpy and swollen, and my lymph nodes seem to be a little swollen, but I don't think they are seriously swollen.  So its been about 3 weeks since I got sick; I am currently using salt water and hot water to soothe my throat, i will stop smoking cigarettes, and I will drink some tea and eat some raw garlic to try and kick any bacteria still in my system.  Any idea of what this could be? Lingering sinus infection? Subtle strep throat? (I've never had strep throat).
I've had strep before... believe me, if you had it, you wouldn't question if it were strep =) Strep usually gives you the white spots, so while it MAY be that, it's probably not. I suspect a lingering illness based on you being a smoker and recently having a sinus infection. Mucus can drip from your sinuses to your throat and cause all sorts of fun inflammation, and smoking would just irritate your throat further. Your lymph nodes are swollen because your body is trying to fight off whatever is wrong. Are you having any other symptoms of illness, like a fever, body aches, tiredness... ? Also, how is your BF doing? Sounds like he was already well into it when you caught it, so he should be at a different stage now (if not recovered completely).
My boyfriend is no longer sick... he was just coughing for a week or so.  Today my throat feels really swollen and its mildly painful to swallow.  I coughed up a bunch of solid yellow mucus this morning and my nose felt completely stuffed and full of chunky yellow mucus.  I think I may go to the doctor soon to give in to antibiotics, because sinus irrigation, apple cider vinegar, and garlic don't seem to be doing the trick...
I went to the doctor and he gave me 3 pills (1 each day) of Zithromax. What the hell is that?! It made me feel better for those 3 days, and since i've had a runny nose, still sore throat, and in this state of purgatory. i think he just made an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria.  I will not be suprised if i get MRSA.  Don't let doctors give you this 3 day crap!  I've asked people from France, Belgium, America, and the Netherlands, and all of them agree with me that 3 days is not enough! (note, we are scientists working at a research centre)