Cold & Flu Community
Strep Throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Strep Throat

Hello!

I just been diagnosed with Strep Throat... I started taking the meds today. My sister that lives over 5 hours away just had a baby and I would really like to go visit her next weekend since it's the long one... My question is, am I going to be fully healed by next Friday? (Today being Wednesday) I don't want to pass it on to a newborn baby.

Thank you.
The antibiotics you have been prescribed for you Strep throat will usually quickly and effectively treat the problem. There should be no likelihood that you would pass this on to the newborn baby through a throat infection, however take the necessary precautions of hand washing, etc.
This bug is called Group B Streptococcus and often also lives in the vaginal area - prior to childbirth a high vaginal swab may be done by your obstetrician and if you are GBS positive, you will be given antibiotics to treat this because THEN the baby is in danger of contracting GBS pneumonia (a very nasty potentially lifethreatening problem) which the baby can catch during a vaginal delivery if the mother is GBS positive (on high vaginal swab). I hope this helps. It is a very good question.
yes you will. just dont cough of sneez infront of the infant and all will be ok
Hi I had strep throat last month... yea antibiotics should kick in after 48 hours...of taking them.(I actually had 2 lots of anti..).. By next weekend you shouldn't be contagious...Get better soon....Its really painful to have....
Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate it! :)