Cold & Flu Community
Strep throat repeatedly?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Strep throat repeatedly?

Hey. I'm an 18 year old male.  

Two weeks ago, Monday the 7th I went to the doctor with a sever sore throat and was giving Augmentin to take for 10 days (twice a day).  My throat was really sore, I had a 103 degree fever, and thyroid glands were swollen.  Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen didn't do much to relieve the pain.   The rapid strep test said I did not have strep throat, but after looking at my throat a few times the doctor believed the test was wrong and gave me Augmentin.  

So after 2-3 days the symptoms gradually got better and life resumed. I finished taking the antibiotic on Wednesday (the 16th).  

Yesterday (Saturday) I started to feel sick again.  I slept most of the day with a fever and my throat is sore.  This continued overnight and into today.  I currently have on and off fevers, a swollen kneck and a sore throat (with bumps on it).

Is it common strep could come back like this?  Or could this just be a virus? Is there any concern this is something more serious?

I have had strep throat more times than I can remember, once I had it 7 times in 4 months and my family doctor still wouldn't take my toncils out.
Every time I have ever had it, I have a high fever, very swollen glands (very painful), usually nauseated.
  And yes, sometimes it would come right back after a week of antibiotics and I would have to go back on meds for another week. At least once I had the full blown Scarlet fever (strep is aka pre-scarlet fever).
Over time I built up a resistance to penicillin and had to switch to erythromyacin and even with that I have to have a higher dose than most folks. Do not stop taking the antibiotics early, I have developed rheumatic fever from doing that but the strep is also worse the immediate second time if you do.  
You may have a virus that is causing this (Scarlet fever or kissing disease).

Or your tonsillis are the problem.

My sone had sever Scarlet fever and had terrible white plaques on his tonsils and throat.

My daughter was constantly having sore throat problems and had to have her tonsils removed in the end because the tonsils were diseased.

The tonsils are the body's first line of defence against bacteria, so if you tonsils are OK the doctor will not recommend them to be removed.

Keep drinking plenty of fluids, water and warm soft juice drinks.  As well as the medication the doctor gives you, you can also take pain relief tablets like paracetamol.  You can also buy from the pharmacist a spray to numb the pain in your throat.  

Wishin you a speedy recovery.