Cold & Flu Community
Temperature expectations with the Flu

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Temperature expectations with the Flu

I've had the flu for about 3 days now with a temperature ranging anywhere from 99 to 102.5 degrees.  As of this morning, my temperature has subsided to a standard 98.6 degrees (give or take 1/2 a degree).  I've been taking generic otc medication the entire time that includes acetaminophen.  I have not had a flu shot, nor can I recall ever having had the flu before.  I still have other flu symptoms such as nasal and chest congestion.  I no longer have muscle pains.  My questions are:

-  Should I expect the high temperature to return?  I've heard that the flu could last weeks and I'm suprised that my temp would have gone down to normal so quickly.

- If it does return, is that a normal part of the infection and / or should I be worried about it?

Thanks!

Chris
Well, if you have never had the flu you are extremely lucky or you have a super immune system. In any case, usually you get a high fever to start with for a couple of days then it goes down then goes away. You can get a sore throat that turns into a cough and so forth. It usually takes a good week to get the main symptoms over with. Drink lots of fluids and rest. You shouldn't get your fever back. Also, the cough can hang on sometimes.  If your high fever (over 101 ) comes back I would see a doctor or if your cough gets productive and dark or it hurts to cough or breath etc. Usually, you just get fatigued and it takes a while to get over the fatigue and the cough. You are contagious until your fever is normal (98.6) and actually a day or so before you get a fever).