Cold & Flu Community
Treatment for Flu

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Treatment for Flu

Hi all,
I was just told I have the flu and I feel awful! I cannot miss any work and have three children at home. Everyone recommends different remedies for flu so I am a bit confused about what works. Please give me your flu remedy recommendations.

Thanks,
Peter
my son had the flu (despite the flu shot last year) and I had it 13 years ago when I was pregnant with my son (no flu shot)...I like you could not take off work or school and I pushed through it took me about 3 months to recover I couldn't take any meds since I was pregnant but I think if I would of rested it woudn't of taken so long. With my son his case was very mild - he slept it off for a week (no meds..it was too late for Tamiflu) and he was good to go. Tamiflu is very expensive and from what I have heard time, rest, and fluids unfortuantely.
Sorry, but there is no cure for influenza.  Influenza is a virus and the best thing you can do is to drink plenty of fluids (keep off milk products), stay in bed and rest.  

Any over the counter remedies to bring down the fever and relieve pain is fine.  You may like to try Lemsip which is mixed in a mug full of hot water, it comes in blackcurrant and lemon flavours.

Drinking freshly squeezed lemon juice with honey in hot water is very soothing.

If you feel congested, rub Vick on your throat and chest or do steam inhalations 4 times a day for 10 minutes each time.

The doctor will only prescribe an antibiotic if you get a bacterial infection.

Tamiflu as I understand it was used for the Swine Flu.  So it is not likely to work if you have a different strain of the influenza virus.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Hi, I use to be sick everytime I came near anyone that had the flu but since taking colloidial minerals I havent had the flu since (over 10yrs). I use Neways brand but you can buy other brands from health food stores.  Colloidial minerals are in liquid form taken from dead lakes, the plant life absorb the minerals from the ground and then when heavy rain & flooding occur they end up in the lake , making the lake rich in bioavailable (easily absorbed) minerals, herbs etc. Also no heavy metals for your body to get rid of and safe to use when pregnant, for kids and infants.
I hope this helps :)