Very Concerned Parent
My daughter is 8 years old she is struggling with flu like symptoms every 3-6 weeks! This has been going on for approximately 9 months.  She is home today from school with a fever that ranges anywhere from very low grade to 102 (tylenol & motrin bring it down). She complains of a stomach ache & head ache but no throwing up. I have had her to our family physican 3 times & he tells me it is the food she eats & that she needs to be on an all organic natural diet.  We have tried to stick pretty close to that but I am FRUSTRATED....Current physican just sort of disregards my concerns as not following the diet close enough. She is lethargic during this time & has been in bed now since 3:00 yesterday, she does drink fluids but does not want to eat anything. If this follows on the same course as previous in another 24-48 hours she will be up & running around like everything is ok.  We currently do not have health insurance, what should I do??? Any HELP would be greatly appreciated....
My daughter had those same symtpoms & it turned out to be mono. When I asked her pediatrician to test for it, she almost blew me off saying that the symptoms don't come and go like that. Well, l insisted and lo and behold, she tested positive for it. The doctor was quite surprised, shrugged and commented that sometimes mom knows best ;)
I'm a teacher and a few years ago there was a 10 y/o boy in my class who also exhibited those same symptoms and he had mono too. In fact, his symptoms continued to come and go for the next couple of years! I work w/ his mom so she kept me updated.
This may not be what's wrong, but it's worth testing for. You could go to your local health dept and insist that they test for mono. It's a simple blood test with same day results.
It's kind of weird that your doctor blamed all those symptoms on diet. That seems very unlikely to me.
Good luck to you :)
I feel very bad for you.  Having no insurance must be frustrating and scary; I can't imagine it..  Anyway, there is something referred to as Fever of Unknown Origin (FU0) but I don't know if that helps you or makes it worse.  They list certain illnesses that can be related to FUO.  Could it be chronic urinary infections?  I am sure they did a urine sample though.    I was going to suggest a pediatrician but then noticed the insurance problem. :(  Good luck and best wishes to you.  
me personally, i would take your child to the er and get iv fluids and possibly suppliments too. if she goes long periods without eating, it can cause other problems with her internal organs properly functioning and staying strong. i would def go to the er and get a fresh doc to look at her. i know it will be a bill to worry about but they can't deny you or her. also, have you applied for chip or public assistance? usually if you get that, they will back date any unpaid medical bills up to 90 days or so. just a thought. my heart goes out to you. i just came out of that situation with insurance myself. best of luck to you and daughter. god bless