Viral Cold
I have had a persistent cold. Started out as a sinus infection then it became a sore throat (just like strep) with a high fever which lasted 3 days. I saw the doc and she gave me Amoxycillin for 7 days. It then eased but worked its way down to my chest and had l some build up of fluid in the lungs and as a result i was constantly coughing and trying to get it out. It has been going on now for over 7 weeks and will not completely go. It seems to clear up up but every time I get out to exercise it returns. Any ideas of how to get rid of it.
You need to go back to your doctor.  He may prescribe a different course of antibiotics if your chest is still congested.

He may even send you for a chest xray and also do a lung function test to check for asthmatic problems.  As you have had it for so long, the doctor may even take a sample of your coughed up phlegm to test for any bacterial or viral infection.

Make sure you drink plenty of warm drinks, avoid milk products as this encourages the formation of mucus.  Keep warm and away from draughts.

Best wishes
are you smoking ??
Have you considered that you may have pneumonia?  Please see your doctor and ask about this and get treatment you need.  Blessings - Blu
You must need go back special doctor for your cold and fever. You xray chest  and also do a lung function test to check for asthmatic problems.
Best of luck!
You say you have a viral cold. How do you know? Did the doctor take a culture?