Walking Pneumonia
My son was diagnosed with walking pneumonia on 11/10/09.  His doctor put him on a C-pact. However, after he finshed the medicine five days later, he still has had mild coughing during the day but very bad coughing at night.  The coughing is so bad that he will cough up mucus or food that he has eaten.  His doctor on 11/18/09 started him on pennicillin for ten days and loratadine which is a antihistamaine.  Still he has the excesive coughing towards the evening and at night and continues to cough up mucus or food.  I am worried and don't know if there is something else I can do for him.  He cries all the time during his coughing periods and is struggling when attempting to cough up anything.  Is there anything that I can do to help him?  
Have you tried a humidfier by his bed, my daughter has had that terrible cough every winter, and it sounds like he has the croup. It takes a while for it to clear up. The more mucus he gets out the better. Just give it a little more time. And elevate his bed with some books or something. If you prop him up it will help the mucus drain, and slow down his coughing at night.  goodluck