Cold & Flu Community
Weird flu-like symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Weird flu-like symptoms

So last Thursday, I started feeling sick. My symptoms are:

fever (between 99-100)
joint pain
muscle aches (different than body aches as nerves do not ache to the touch, this is actual chronic muscle pain)
nausea
stomach cramps
diarrhea
fatigue
night sweats
increase in costochondritis pain (sternum/rib cage pain) which results in my chest & upper back hurting while I breathe in.

and i'm not sure if this is related, but recently have been having hot flashes. I'm not sure if i'm coming into a change in my body, i'm 28 and have had the copper IUD since Nov 2010...so my hormones are not regulated. I have noticed an increase in my temper and mood swings just before and during my period. I do not smoke or drink, I eat gluten free at home and do not take vitamins. I have one child who's 7.

So, basically...kind of feels like the flu, but the joint & muscle pain is very different than what I would usually get with the flu, especially since i'm not having any body aches or headaches.
I would urge everyone to get a specific blood test done for Hepatitis C.  After finding out I have it, and have had it for 20 or more years, I can only think back on so many of these symptoms I've had.  I've also had mononucleosis in the past and never knew it and cytomegalovirus.  They too have these symptoms and I was told that just about every adult has these last two illnesses and has been exposed to them sometime in their life.  I never knew I had those two either, but I remember so many of the symptoms now.  They can do a blood test for them as well and see if they are new and active or dormant and doing nothing.  Once we get these two we forever keep them dormant in our blood, and they can re-activate at any time.
Drink lots of water and stay hydrated in any case, and if it continues I would see a doctor.  I'm a firm believer in drinking a lot of water.  People seem to know that it washes debris of all kinds off their skin, but they forget it does the same thing to the inside of their body when debris gets in it as well.  So drinks a lot of water and keep flushing it out.  Hang in there and Good luck.