Cold & Flu Community
Why do I continue to cough?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Why do I continue to cough?

A couple weeks ago I was fighting a bad cold. Sore throat, sneezing, coughing, runny nose, etc... A week after I got over it, but I'm still coughing. I'm not really sick or anything, I just can't stop coughing. It's been going on like this for about 3 weeks now and it's really making me irritable. I have to take Day Time about 5 times a day to relief myself of t.

When I cough, it's not really because my chest is hurting, it's just my throat kind of "tingling".

Anyone got any ideas?
Do u smoke?
Avatar n tn
I used to about 3 years ago, but not that much. It was just a phase, really. I've also never had asthma, and I don't have the symptoms for Pneumonia (before anyone asks).
Well, many virial infections can cause a cough to develop. It sounds like you have had flu like symptoms from a particually bad strain. It can quite often take a couple of weeks to fully heal up. Furthermore the continued use of cough suppressants is not a good idea as you quite often cough up infected speutum after an infection. Supressing this can delay the healing process. What colour is your speutum?
Avatar n tn
White, and you don't understand how immense this cough is. I can't breathe or talk for longer than 5 seconds without hacking up a lung, so without cough suppressants it just becomes unbearable.