Cold & Flu Community
Would you recommend I see a doctor?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Would you recommend I see a doctor?

I have been having cold symptoms for two weeks this Friday. It started out as a scratchy/sore throat, then turned into me almost losing my voice (laryngitis), then back to a sore throat, and now it's a hacking cough with mucus in my throat and a little sinus congestion. Would you recommend I see a doctor? It's showing no signs of letting up and I am unable to hear out of my left ear from the congestion.
It sounds like a cold, I would give it until Monday. Colds are normally viruses, so there's not much they could do for you. The only exception is if it moves into your lungs or if you have a fever that lasts longer than 3 days. For the lungs, if you take a deep breath and your chest hurts, or if you wheeze when you breath, then definitely see a doctor as sometimes colds develop into bronchitis or pneumonia. The ear thing is your sinus cavities being plugged. Try running the shower for lots of steam and this should unplug things so you can hear again (or a wet sauna if you have access to one). Drink plenty of juice, eat fruits and avoid milk as it promotes more mucus in your sinus cavities. Also avoid any cigarette smokers it's been shown colds take longer to recover from when exposed to smoke (and some kids get more colds if there's a smoker in the house)

Take care and hope you feel better soon, Laura
Maye you should sounds like tonsilitis to me
For some reason I don't think it's tonsillitis because I don't see any white patches or swelling of my tonsils. I am still very much dealing with this cold, as last night my nasal congestion was so bad I could barely breathe out of my nose at all. Today my nose is super runny. I just don't see this cold going away anytime soon.
It ***** having a cold, but it can take two weeks to clear up, that's why I mentioned giving it until this Monday.  If you still feel like crap on Monday, drop into a doctor.  Are you doing stuff to help it like drinking lots of juice and getting enough sleep?  Sometimes at 17 if you've never been exposed to this cold virus before, it might take your body longer to fight it off. Once you build immunity to this particular virus, it will be shorter next time. Are any of your friends sick? Maybe you could compare how long their cold lasted. I've had colds last three weeks when I was in my 20's. I often wondered if I was sick with one cold then caught another virus!  
Here's a buzzle article,
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-long-does-a-cold-last.html
Hang in there!
Laura
I definitely could drink some more liquids for sure. However, I get tons of sleep lately since it's summer vacation (like 10+ hours a night).