Cold & Flu Community
cough that doesnt go away

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

cough that doesnt go away

Hey I have had this cough for about 8 to 10 years now, and have had lots of tests that all come back negative to anything. I have been on plenty of antibiotics and cough medicines all of which do nothing.This cough use to be mainly night but now from minute wake up to minute go to sleep its there, only time it seems to dissapear is if im doing something like work, running round with kids anything that envolves me moving round and not sitting or standing in one place to long.But the minute i stop moving here comes the cough.To the point where of a night time it takes at least 1 hour to go to sleep due to coughing.I have no other symptoms at no phelm or runny nose itchy or sore throat or anything, just an annoying cough that doesnt go away. Does anyone else have this  or have any idea what maybe i can take or do to get rid of it or ease it i will do or try just about anything at moment.
If I may make a suggestion that is a harmless experiment? Try taking a Prilosec OTC or a Zantec for a couple of days and see if it gets any better. It make take up to a week to notice a difference so give a few days.
I have asthma, but for years I had the same type of cough as you. After many trips to different doctors, I found out that acid reflux irritates your lungs and can cause a cough similar to that of an asthmatic. Now, you may not feel the "heartburn". I never did. Laying down always makes the reflux worse and this is why I'm thinking you may benefit from a trial of Prilosec or Zantac or something similar. If it gets better after a few days and your not sure if it's the pills helping...just stop the meds and see if it returns. If it does, you know the problem and can resume the meds.
Let us know how your doing.

Good luck to you!